1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by urban maniac, Oct 31, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. urban maniac

urban maniac Thread Starter

Well i want to buy an graphics card but im not sure of what one to get..And i have also heard that you cannot get good graphics card for an slimline(yay for me...) so im prity much stuck with this computer for a very long time which sucks because i want to accualy play good games for example team fortress, battlefield 2 ect...if you have any information on how to upgrade my computer on my own please tell me anything that can help me!

My computer specs are already on my account.

2. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

To my knowledge (I've been repairing PCs for a LONG time), you really can't upgrade the graphics on that system...

Best wishes; have fun on Guy Fawkes Day... and Guy Fawkes Night, for that matter...

3. urban maniac

urban maniac Thread Starter

but ive heard some people have somehow upgraded though, also there is a graphics slot in my computer ive been told but apparently i dont have enough watts... how do i find this out do i just open up my computer?

4. PuppyLinux

PuppyLinux

Hi urban maniac,

You want to upgrade a system that will still be rather limited even AFTER you pour money into it, which is NEVER a good idea. I realize that you've already asked this question several times in Yahoo! Answers (I found your posts through Google)... no one provided the answer you WANT, because your options are so limited...

The Upgrading and Servicing Guide for your system is located here:

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c00877796.pdf

Just right-click that link, and choose whatever "Save..." or "SaveAs..." option your browser gives you. The .PDF file will download to your system, so you can refer to it as needed. Among other details, it provides specific instructions on how to open the case, and how to remove and replace the PCI-E videocard, so that information could be important to you...

ONE of the MAJOR problems you face is that your system uses a SMALL power supply unit. It is NOT designed to provide the power required of ANY gaming videocard. In fact, HP recommends that ANY videocard installed in the system draw no more than a maximum of 25 watts; the lightbulb in your refrigerator probably uses 40 watts, so you can see that the system you have is NOT suitable for gaming. The original nVidia 8800GT card draws 185 watts under full load, and the NEW version (just released for sale today) uses a MUCH more efficient GPU, to reduce power consumption. The new GPU draws ONLY! 105 watts under load; that is a MAJOR improvement, but as you can see, you'd still need another 80 watts out of the TINY PSU your system uses... wattage that it CAN'T provide. I'm not aware of ANY gaming PSU being made anywhere in the WORLD that will fit your system, which means you're up a stinky brown creek without a paddle... you know the one...

Anyway, I truly wish I had better news for you, but you have to accept reality as it is, not the way you want it to be; if you REALLY want a gaming system, it is time to start saving money so you can buy your own hardware, and build a system that will run your games...

Best of luck to you; I admire your tenacity, but you can't turn a sow's ear into a silk purse... though there is nothing WRONG with your HP computer, it will NEVER be a gamer's system, unless you play only FreeCell and Minesweeper...

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646114

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice