1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dajahew1, Dec 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dajahew1

dajahew1 Thread Starter

Hello there :)

I'm here on behalf of a friend of mine who has a Dell Inspiron 545MT. He's a big gamer but he didn't read up enough about what quality of Dell products there are (e.g. Inspiron, XPS, Studio etc...) and bought this one thinking it would be able to run Team Fortress 2, etc... But the onboard graphics were pitiful and could barely run it on low settings on 800x600 resolution.
    We settled for a Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 PCI-E which fitted. We had checked that the PSU was the correct wattage and it seemed to be able to run on a 300W. It worked for the first couple of days and we had all the drivers installed and all the games were running perfectly, but then it started cutting out 1 second after starting the PC up. Then it would start again, then cut out. Then on the 3rd time it would start up and beep and it would start booting, but no video output.
    So we thought it was the PSU, and we got a 500W Corsair Builders Series.
    It worked fine, then we plugged in the card and it booted up fine and we had video output and all. It worked for about 2 weeks, then it went back to the dreaded cutout loop at startup. It happens every time we boot the PC up, and only removing the graphics card fixes it.
    What is going on??? :( I'm thinking maybe the graphics card is faulty, but I could be wrong. It could be the mobo...

Specs:

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.1
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate , 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Celeron(R) CPU 450 @ 2.20GHz, x64 Family 6 Model 22 Stepping 1
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 2037 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) G33/G31 Express Chipset Family, 256 Mb OR Sapphire Radeon HD 5670 512MB PCI-E
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 305180 MB, Free - 204381 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0N826N, A02, ..CN7360498M0298.
    Antivirus: Microsoft Security Essentials, Updated and Enabled

Any help would be appreciated.;)

Cheers,
    -Darryl
    (y)

2. Irukku

Irukku

Check your temperatures with speedfan, if at the moment you remove the graphics card the computer works perfectly, it's probably either a graphics card problem or your case cooling that's failing you.

3. dajahew1

dajahew1 Thread Starter

Well, I can't actually test temperatures with the graphics card in as I get no video output. It used to work, but not anymore and I'm afraid that the card is damaged! I get roughly 60-75 degrees centigrade with my processor (Celeron 2ghz) and with the card in, from what I can remember, wasn't that different. Are those temperatures normal?

Thanks,
    -Darryl
    (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971198

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice