1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics memory problem??

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by komputerman, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. komputerman

komputerman Thread Starter

Does anyone know if it is possible that the reason why I am not getting any pictures when surfing with aol6 is because my graphics memory is full?
    I was getting messages prior to aol home page loading that "forthcoming images could not be displayed due to lack of memory,please close unused windows".
    The only thing I can think of is I have an msn community picture site with hundreds of family pictures there.
    Please advise//help!!

2. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

Try this:

Clear your internet cache. Settings / Properties / Internet Properties (WWW). Under Temporary Internet Files(on the General tab), Hit Delete Files. This may cause some AOL graphics to have to reload, but it's worth a shot.

Also, start Internet Explorer (not in AOL, the separate one), click Tools, Internet Options, Advanced, and in the Multimedia section, make sure "Show Pictures" is checked.

You also may simply have too many programs loaded at once, including things that load automatically when you start your computer. If you usually have several programs going, try closing some. If you frequently leave your PC on for extended periods of time (days), reboot more often. You can search this forum for "Startup programs", and you should find several good discussions on how to clean up what starts on your PC.

AND, if the MSN site with your pictures tries to show a large number of graphics at once, try limiting how many display at any one time.

In addition, it's true that AOL has a number of quirky problems probably best addressed by AOL staff. Try Keyword AOL HELP, and click Get Live Online Help. This is much faster than calling on the phone, and every once in a great while, you actually find a tech who knows something.

I know these suggestions are mostly pretty vague, but there are probably a gazillion and six things that can cause low system resources.

If none of this helps, try writing back with more detail on when you notice the problem, if it's all the time or just sometimes, what kind of sites you're visiting, etc. Give as much detail as possible. Including how much RAM you have and how much free space is on your C drive.

Good luck.

3. komputerman

Thanks for your reply.I've already tried most of what you suggested!
    Everything was working OK,nothing has changed as far as new programs installed etc. All of a sudden last week I found that when I visited a website firstly there were no pictures (just little red crosses),and once at a website I could go no further(hence me sitting here at an internet cafe once again!).
    I 've contacted AOL by phone (not a very good experience--wait 15 minutes for the call to be answered--the girl there got me to change settings to no avail,then transferred me to technical--another 30 minute wait!!).Eventually,they told me to uninstall and reinstall AOL,but this didn't work either.
    I've tried minimizing AOL and browsing with internet explorer but again,no pictures.
    This happens all of the time and at any kind of site.
    For example,visit hotmail and fill in account name & password,can't move from the homepage.Go to football site and again I cannot read any reports etc.
    I've ran a virus scan,defragged drive C,checked to make sure "show pictures" is checked.
    Been to the AOL live help place,he told me to change the settings on the screen resolution and colour settings but that was no good either.
    System info:-
    63 MB ram
    available space on C 8096mb of9756mb (fat32)
    75% system resources free
    75% user resources free
    84% gdi resources free
    What I cannot understand is how it went from working perfectly to the present state of affairs!!
    A cynic said it's probably AOL doing something to deter some of their "uneconomic" customers!!!!
    By the way when I visit hotmail I don't get the normal blue home page but a page where the text is much bigger than it should be.
    When looking at the recycle bin,again the text is bigger than it shoud be.Could this mean it is something to do with Windows?
    I await the genius who can solve this frustrating problem for me!!!

4. komputerman

Forgot to mention that if I sidestep AOL and use internet explorer,I can just about move about in websites,but have to use "refresh" after every click.No pictures and cannot post on sites like this and also liable to get cut off by AOL with the message "you have been disconnected due to lack of activity"!!

5. Gnosisless

Gnosisless

you might also want to try installng and running Adaware from
    http://www.lavasoftusa.com. It's free, and it will scan your system for any spyware programs. Some of these are known to interfere with browsing. Make sure you get the RefUpdage program, too, so you can get the latest definition file from them.

Other than that, all I can think of is corrupt cached files, incorrect cached settings, or a bad swap file. Looks like you have plenty of system resources and disk space free for the swap file. That is 8GB FREE, not USED, right?

I'm assuming you aren't running any proxy software like Proxomitron that limits popups or banners? This software can also interfere with a page loading, if it's configured improperly. (though I love Proxomitron).

You might also want to try installing AOL 7, or going back to AOL 5. I use 5 still, though I have 6 and 7 both installed, because it seems to be the most stable.

I'll post other suggestions if I can think of anything. Hopefully someone will come along with some better ideas.

6. rkselby98

rkselby98

Go to the following site and follow the instructions for cleaning the hard drive. They will be listed in the table of contents followed by 3 red *.

http://www.rselby.com/Windows.html

Then after you do that check for ad-ware, trojans and viruses.

You can do that at the following sites.

Ad-Ware Checks and removes spyware
    http://www.spychecker.com/download.html

MooSoft 30 day evaluation program for trojans
    http://www.moosoft.com/features.php

PC Pitstop antivirus program Must have IE Explorer 4.0 will not work with Netscape.
    http://www.pcpitstop.com/antivirus/default.asp

PC Cillion
    http://housecall.antivirus.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

7. komputerman

Thank you for your advice.
    I've had the problem half cured! I tried the AOL tech help again and a guy there told me to try something which has got me back into action but it is now very hitty missy.
    He told me to go to start>find>files or folders
    Making sure it's looking in the C drive,in named,type in global.org
    and click on find now.This will find the global.org then highlight it by left clicking on it once.Click on file then delete to remove it/them.
    Restart AOL and go through the modem set up,and follow through the get access numbers.

I did this and now some sites show pictures and some don't.
    Anyone who might know why this is I'd like to hear from them!
    Also I can now navigate inside sites but need to click refresh after every click.Or to be precise I need to do this when in sites which do not show pictures.When in sites with pictures I can surf normally.
    So whereas before I was getting nowhere at least now I am getting somewhere,although would like to get back to 100% ASAP!!!!
    Gnosisless,yes I have 8GB free.
    rkselby,my C drive has been thoroughly checked for erroes/viruses,nothing adverse found.
    Thanks again for your help & interest.

8. komputerman

Thought I'd post again quickly because by amazing good luck my problem has been completely solved!!!
    If you see my other nearby thread about my printer suddenly ceasing to print incoming e-mails or text from the web,a guy there pointed me towards the answer to that problem and hey presto,all my problems have been cured !!
    Obviously they were inter-linked.
    Thank you so much to everyone at this brilliant web site!!!

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!