1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics programs?

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by teresa_banksuk, Feb 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. teresa_banksuk

teresa_banksuk Thread Starter

Hi all! A friend has given me some aerial photographs of where I live but I can't zoom in on them close enough. I was wondering if anyone knew of any graphics programs I could use (prefereably free!) whereby I could zoom in on them and the program will also clear up the image as it zooms? All help appreciated, many thanks, Teresa.

2. Top Banana

Top Banana

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

Teresa
    Irfanview does have zoom capabilities as does many other programs however your question was also cleaning up the picture as you zoom..... I do not know of any graphics program that can automatically clean up the pixelization you get when you magnify a picture. The resolution of the original, what scan density you set your scanner on, and which format it is saved in will determine how clear the image remains as you magnify.

Dave

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

everyone who deals with graphics is looking for that kind of program :)

unfortunately once you have reached 100% viewing ( the full pixel size the image was taken in) any more zooming rapidly decreases the image quality. There are a few programs out there that can enlarge an image beyond it's full pixel size or be used to improve the quality of a highly zoomed image but they are big bucks...and they will only help so much

If the image is a good one to start the results are better

If you wanted to post the image I or some of the others here could try blowing it up some for you

buck

and it's Dave at the wire

5. Davey7549

Davey7549

:D :D ;)

Only by Nanoseconds!:p

Dave

6. slipe

slipe

You are looking for that program you see in the movies where the surveillance photo shows a blob and the CIA guy says to the computer whiz – “clean that up”. The computer guy pushes a button and a studio portrait of Tom Cruise comes on the screen. That program is like binoculars you look through and see a figure 8 rather than a circle, or tires that squeal on dirt roads, or silencers on revolvers or any of that other movie stuff that can’t exist.

If you can’t read a license plate when you blow it up the information just isn’t there. My esteemed colleagues are correct that you can’t invent the information.

There is a thing called sharpening that makes a photo look sharper even though it doesn’t add any information. There are a couple of free programs that will sharpen. Irfanview will sharpen but it isn’t very sophisticated and you can’t control it.

This program only sharpens and does an excellent job: http://www.dpreview.com/misc/rdr.asp?url=http://www.applied-maths.com/paul/sharpcontrol.zip Sorry, but there isn’t a page where you can read about it, but it is easy to use. Just mess with the settings.

Scan the photo at 300PPI and save it as a TIFF or PNG. You have lost information before you start if you save it as a JPEG. You can scan directly into Irfanview by using File>Acquire. You might have to go File>Select TWAIN Source just one time before your first scan.

7. Flrman1

Flrman1

I agree with the previous posters. I have Adobe Photoshop7(expensive) and it will only do so much sharpening when you zoom in.

8. hewee

hewee

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/118907

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice