Graphics software

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Dougj

I've been using what use to be Jasc's Paint Shop Pro 7 for my web graphics and some photo refinishing, for several years now. I wanted to upgrade to something newer and was given Corels replacement for PSP which is now PSP X. However after reading the specs for this new s/w it appears to be only photo editing software now, so I assume Corel has removed the well priced option for graphics design that was previously know as paint shop pro. Sooooo I am looking for what would currently be my best bang for my buck as a replacement. I read about Coreldraw 12 and that seems to be more in tune with my requirements of some photo editing but mainly graphics design.

Any feedback on this or other graphics s/w for this purpose would be appreciated.

Thanx......D.

Guyzer

Guy
I have both and never the two shall mix. In other words. I use PSP X for photo work and CorelDraw 12 for graphics only. I also use some other photo editing software as every ver or package has a little something the other one doesn't.

You can go to Corel's site and download a trial of X and see for yourself without spending the bucks right off the bat. Here's the link.
http://www.corel.com/servlet/Satellite?pagename=Corel3/Downloads/Trials

Dougj

Unfortunately coreldraw 12 needs winXP to run & I am still on ME for a few more weeks till I get my new systemup and running.

Does coreldraw have any photo editing capabilies? I tend to do very little of that so it is of more minor consequence to me than the graphics abilities.

Also how would you rate coreldraw against photoshop, which I have used in a somewhat limited manner as I do have an older version of that as well?

Thanx for the input.........Doug

Guyzer

Guy
CorelDRAW Graphics Suite 12 does come with Photo-Paint but I don't really like it. I don't have any specific reason other than I never really worked with it so never gave it a real shot. I'm not an expert in any photo editing program as I'm just in the learning stage and they all have real big curves. As far as Corel Draw is concerned I've been using their ver's for years and haven't master it / them. I doubt I ever will as it seems like when I learn something then a different issue rears it's head. All said and done you can't beat Corel Draw if you use it to make money with. I don't anymore and it's become a seldom used expensive toy. At one time I did use it for tons of desktop publishing stuff.
When all the dust settles I seem to like PSP 7 the best for pictures and once again I guess it's because I'm more familiar with a few points I really like.

f1_champ

Banned
Photoshop is not a bad option either it comes bundled with imageready which is tailor made for web graphics

You might give this a try: http://www.inkscape.org/

Paint Shop Pro is primarily photo editing software. If Corel removed the vector graphics capabilities it is probably so it doesn’t compete with their drawing software. Photoshop is very limited in vector capability because they want you to buy Illustrator.

If you were given PSP X you will probably want to use that for photo editing and get a separate graphics program. I’m guessing Inkscape is the Gimp of vector programs. Many people like Corel Draw better than Illustrator. Many people use Illustrator because it coordinates well with Photoshop and Image Ready.

This might be easier to use. If you like it you could upgrade from the free older version to the current one: http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/DrawPlus/default.asp

buck52

Banned
I'm just a tad confused by your first post.

Paint Shop Pro was never a great vector/graphics design program...adequate yes great no
I'm sure I'm out of touch but PSP is still PSP... Draw is the vector/graphics program always provided by Corel designed for vector graphics and design...not image editing/manipulation

the equivalent in Photoshop is Illustrator, meant for vector designs and the like not image editing/manipulation

buck

buck52

Banned
f1_champ said:
Photoshop is not a bad option either it comes bundled with imageready which is tailor made for web graphics
Other way around...ImageReady comes bundled with Photoshop and neither is as good for web or vector graphics as Adobe Illustrator

buck

f1_champ

Banned
buck52 said:
Other way around...ImageReady comes bundled with Photoshop and neither is as good for web or vector graphics as Adobe Illustrator

buck
I misunderstood his post, I thought that with web graphics he mean animated gifs and rollovers.:eek:

Dougj

thanx for all the input....I guess I will need to take another look at illustrator, photoshop. coreldraw and try to do a comparison as to what will give me more or less what I need. Don't get me wrong from my first post.......I liked PSP 7 becasue it was low cost, had a relatively short learning curve & was less resource intensive as I am running on a winME machine. I am not an accomplished graphics designer but keep trying to improve myself.

I in the past used psp for my photo editing ( very infrequently that I do this sort of work) but have psp along with animation shop for most of the web work I do.

So really what I need is something to cover as much as possible, also considering that I will still have psp7 and animation shop availabel to me.

Thanx again for the help......Doug

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online