1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics Tools, Utilities, Formats

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by rjemery, Sep 19, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. rjemery

rjemery Thread Starter

1) I'm aware of GIF and JPEG image formats, but what is FAST?

2) I am aware of the program UniqueFiler, which can find duplicates of image files, among other capabilities. However, I wish to know if there is a program that, given an image cropped from another image, could find the original image file. Is there such a utility?

3) Not knowing otherwise, I would have to say that UniqueFiler is a pretty good program. I was wondering if there are other programs which may have eclipsed this utility?

4) What shareware/freeware tools and utilties are deemed essential or useful for those who play with graphic images, most notably JPEG and sometimes GIF? (I already use Paint Shop Pro 5 and UniqueFiler, but I am wondering if there are other tools especially noteworthy and useful to have.)

2. NormanSmiley

NormanSmiley

1)A better question: what works on the net? I think the file type png will work too. Gif is still the best out there IMO.

4)Definitely Adobe PhotoShop 5.5. This is the only graphics prog that you will ever need.

------------------
    NormanSmiley
    http://zuzumonk.20m.com

3. rjemery

rjemery Thread Starter

Norman, thank you for your response.

Can I then assume that FAST is yet another graphics format? Where might I find a comparison of GIF, JPG, FAST and PNG?

And in regards to Adobe Photoshop, does it have tools to find image duplicates, and for cropped images, is it able to locate the larger image from which it was cropped?

------------------
    R. J. Emery

4. ebot

ebot Guest

Hi,

No. Photoshop doesn't.("Photoshop 6.0"- about $600.00.) It's a Great Program but its not a File-Manager. Never heard of FAST (maybe .FAS?) http://www.cknow.com/ckinfo/acronyms/fileextensions.htm

If you tell us what you're trying to do, it would help.

Maybe this will help: When I work on a Graphic Project I save the Original File as("whatever.jpeg" for example.)When I modify the Original File I save it as("whatever1.jpeg and 2,3 etc.) The point is , keep the original filename the same and all the associated files stay together making them easy to find. (You can be more descriptive, like, "whatevercrop.jpeg", "whateverblue.jpeg", etc.)
    Remember to save all associated files in one directory.

Here's an excellent Feebie that recognizes many file formats and is a great image editor too. http://www.irfanview.com/

ebot[:-]

PS. You can use Photoshop Plugins/Filters with PSP and Irfanview.

[This message has been edited by ebot (edited 09-23-2000).]

[This message has been edited by ebot (edited 09-23-2000).]

5. rjemery

rjemery Thread Starter

ebot, I've inherited various image collections which I am trying to merge and organize with my own collections. So far, the only tool I have been able to find to help me is UniqueFiler, which works quite well but doesn't do enough.

For example, UniqueFiler won't match duplicates if an edge has been cropped, or can't find an original file if some element therein was cropped out and made into its own image. Like you, I use file name conventions to keep like files together, but in this instance, I need to merge other libraries into mine.

So, I'm looking for a better alternative to UniqueFiler (if there is one) and any other recommended tools that would be useful in managing, merging and organizing large libraries of GIF and JPEG images.

As for FAST, that is apparently a new image format. See FAST Info for a demo and description, but I still seek a better perspective on it from someone in the know.

------------------
    R. J. Emery

6. ebot

ebot Guest

Hi,

I just looked at UniqueFiler and it has a function named "Fuzz Factor." Doesn't that help?

Good Luck,
    ebot[:-]

7. rjemery

rjemery Thread Starter

No, but fuzz factor does help. Nevertheless, if an image has had an edge cropped, even by a few pixels, UF doesn't make a match to the original even if the image is otherwise identical in all other respects. Whatever algorithm the author of UF employs, it must start from the edge(s) rather than the center, or otherwise involve the edges in determining matches.

------------------
    R. J. Emery

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/37525

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice