1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics

Discussion in 'Games' started by tofayel521, Nov 10, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tofayel521

tofayel521 Thread Starter

Hi experts,
    HD and 3D video does not play clearly. Though I increase the monitor resolution the games or video quality is very poor. Would you tell me how can I improve video quality or play games smoothly? Here is my computer configuration.

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 3, 32 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.40GHz, x86 Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9
    Processor Count: 1
    RAM: 765 Mb
    Graphics Card: Intel(R) 82865G Graphics Controller, 96 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 24999 MB, Free - 11404 MB; D: Total - 16998 MB, Free - 7507 MB; E: Total - 16998 MB, Free - 16478 MB; F: Total - 7248 MB, Free - 7125 MB;
    Motherboard: Dell Computer Corp., 0C7018
    Antivirus: AntiVir Desktop, Updated: No, On-Demand Scanner: Disabled

Thanks,

2. valis

valis Moderator

I'm going to move this to games, but I'm willing to bet that all the answers are going to be to upgrade that laptop.

But I'll defer to the experts over there.

thanks,

v

3. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

Hi Tofayel,

I could simply say that your PC is in need of some upgrades which is possible, but in my opinion, not worthwhile. I used to have a Dell very similar to this, my first PC actually and it was a nightmare. Spending money on upgrades may give you the possibility to watch HD video's but it wont give you the option to upgrade in the future. The main issue being that the ports are PCI only, a very dated expansion slot now (for graphics cards at least).

My suggestion is that you save your money and buy a custom PC that meets your needs. Some companies make nice desktops but Dell is one name to avoid.

However, don't take just my word as there are some much more intelligent people on here that may have a cheaper suggestion for you. :)

4. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi Tofayel and welcome to TSG.

I would have to agree with the previous posters. You would benefit far more from saving and buying a new machine than you would from upgrading, if an upgrade is even feasible! That system is very outdated looking at the specs, having done a quick check for the motherboard it looks like it is a Dell Optiplex 170L, that really isn't worth spending money on to be honest, even its maximum capability (with every top upgrade it could support) is very outdated, would probably cost you alot (due to the parts likely being harder to get hold of) and wouldn't give you much of a boost.

You can get a desktop base unit for very little now, which would massively out perform your current setup in every way. A new laptop will cost you a bit more but would still provide a significant increase in performance in just about every area you could imagine.

5. josefthomson

josefthomson

Hi,Tofayel
    you should need upgrade processor at least above 2.66 Ghz. Monitor resulation above 1280x1024 px and RAM should be minimum 1 GB. You should also upgrade your graphics card to play HD games or video. Gather more information through this link- http://www.techyv.com/questions/how-can-i-improve-my-video-quality
    regards,
    Josef

6. Sick_Jargon

Sick_Jargon

The best processor for that board is a Pentium 4, which Intel have discontinued. Now they sell at high prices due to their 'rarity'.

Resolution comes down to monitor size and preference.

In order to do this they would need to swap out their 256MB stick for a DDR (possibly DDR2) 512mb. Again overpriced due to being discontinued.

If you had read through the thread, you'd have noticed the slots on that motherboard are PCI slots. Again... They are old slots and cant support graphics cards within a reasonable price range, to support HD.

I understand you're offering help but you're misleading people more than you are helping them.

7. tom6049

tom6049

That's socket 478.....meaning that it's a platform that's almost 10 years old.
    Maybe a fresh format and reinstall might speed things up a little bit.
    Otherwise, it's pretty simple...live with it or start saving for a new computer.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1026263

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice