1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

graphics

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by padutch, Nov 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Looking for a freeware graphics program that I can work with .art graphics and change the formatt to jpg or gif
    Thanks
    DUTCH

2. Sharon D

Sharon D

Hi Dutch. Do you use AOL? I gather when you save pics on the internet with AOL they end up being saved as .art(or .bmp) files and can be viewed only in AOL editors and browsers. If you are using aol you have the option to save pics as .bmp's or .art files when you download or save images from the internet. You will need to change your browser options. Go to: My AOL>Preferences>WWW>Graphics Tab and remove the checkmark beside "Use compressed graphics">Apply>Ok. Your pics will no longer be saved in the .art file format. You can use the AOL image editor at File>Open and locate .art files on your pc. Once you have the .art file in the AOL editor you can then File>Save and convert to .jpg format. If this doesn't produce a decent pic you will need to go back to the website where you found the pic and save it in the proper format.

If you don't have aol and someone sent you .art files via email, you need to tell them to send them to you in the proper format or use an image program like the one below to convert the .art files:
    http://www.5star-shareware.com/Graphics/Image-Viewers/acdsee.html
    Let us know if this help you out at all.
    :) sharon

3. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Savvy Lady, thanks for the input but I have no problem opening the .art images just wanted a program to change the format.
    Sharon D. also thanks for the input. Not using AOL and yes someone did send the picts to me but as I said to Savvy Lady I can open them. The program you posted dose look promising and will look into it. I downloaded a photo program that supports 340 extensions for free and can you believe .art isn't one of them
    If I can't find a free one then I might just download the shareware. Thanks to both of you. And may you have a lovely day!
    DUTCH

4. Sharon D

Sharon D

Dutch, if you can open them in your image editor, can't you go to File>Save As, then choose .bmp? Then open up Paint>File>Save As and save it as a .jpg?

5. SavvyLady

SavvyLady

Sorry Dutch... that was for you but not in this forum... somehow i put the answer here,,,, anyway i deleted it

6. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Sharon D I guess I am slow tonight. Yes that did work and thanks a heap.
    DUTCH

7. Sharon D

Sharon D

That's great to hear! I'm glad you didn't have to download the $50 shareware software. Have a good night. :)

8. hewee

hewee

I install the ACDSee v4.0 and the added FotoCanvasLite, plug ins etc. and did not like it at all. Very slow and added junk that is not need just to view images.
    I took it off and am back to using the ACDSee v2.22.
    Will get version 3 off a zip I have and update to it.
    The older ones are so fast and easy to use.
    Have used ACDsee for years and I would died before giving it up.

Plus The ACDSee v4.0 demo is Adware

So get the older ACDSee™ Classic
    http://www.acdsystems.com/English/Products/ImagingProducts/ACDSee/ACDSeeClassic/index.htm

ACDSee™ Classic
    Filesize: 1.55 MB

System Requirements:
    Windows 95/98/NT 4.0/2000/Me
    PC486DX with 32MB RAM
    4 MB free hard disk space

It has the nag to pay but you can keep using it.
    I have been using ACDsee for 5 years and have no paid for it.
    Need to find the real old one so I can see if they let me buy it and get the free upgrades for life like it said. Plus the price was about $10.00,
    That was back when they just started and needed the money I guess. I think you could put it in a floppy too.

9. Sharon D

Sharon D

it's spyware?? Yuk! I'm sure glad Dutch didn't download it. Thanks for letting me know that. I hate that spyware crap... I've never tried ACDSee at all. It's one of the few programs I found while searching the 'net that could open and convert the .art file format. What kind of options does it have? At the moment I use Irfanview and Paint Shop Pro 6. Both are great image viewers, but Irfanview is free and is spyware-free. Thanks for the heads up. :)

10. hewee

hewee

Yep that is something they started on the last version.

I have Irfanview also but alway use ACDsee.

Got the very first ACDsee at a Computer Show.
    It was on a CD that had 10,000 Royalty Free Clipart. I just found the CD and looked and not sure what version it is but it's the older 16bit were most are ACDsee32 now. The ACD.exe is only 459KB.

The one I have that is installed is 1.09 MB so it's close to the same size as the older one above.

But that ACDSee™ Classic does not have the ads or spyware on it that I know of. The Classic goes back before version 3.x

Well it's fast, You can convert to .bmp, jpg and .pcx. Never seen a .pcx. Now like I said there are newer NON Adware one that but they are not at there site anymore. You can convert to a coulpe more formats, and it will open more formats to.
    Plus you can print.
    My ACDSee v2.22 supports 22 formats. Can print if I pay. That and a nag every now and the is the only bad thing. 5 years using it so you know the nag is not bad. Says I have view 40098 image and have 30 days. That was November 10, 1999 9:00:18 PM that it was installed. The nag starts at 30 days.
    I mean 99.9999999 of the image you need to look at you can. If I have a image that I can not see with ACDsee it is because it is a format that is used only by the image program I saved it in so I can use it to open it.

I have it set to open all the images that it support. It makes so fast to use it to go looking for a image. Faster then all the others that came with the other image pograms I have.:D
    Irfanview does not open MS Picture it .mix or PhotoImpact .ufo and other image progams own format so.
    You get to view image in thumbnails if you want to but that slow it down because it will open all that are in that folder so you know having 100's of thumbnails takes time but you can adjust the size of it and the size the main view too.

Ok doing some look here for ya.
    ACDSee Classic 2.43
    1.6MB
    Supports 30 image formats.
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-100-1808446.html

ACDSee 1.6
    2.7MB
    Supports 40 image formats
    (what more formats the Classic 2.43)
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10220-100-6407562.html

ACDSee (Commercial Upgrade) 3.1 SR-1
    Updates your registered version of ACDSee to version 3.1.
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-100-3421215.html

ACDSee 4.0
    10.2MB
    50 multimedia formats, sound, archive, and movie file formats such as JPEG, GIF, TIFF, MP3, WAV, ZIP, and MPEG.
    http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-108-15055.html
    That why it was very slow it does so many things that you don't need just to view images.

Read user opinions on each page.

Here are the user opinions from the ACDSee 4.0 page. man good thing I took it off my PC. I did not have the adware version but a register too.
    Good thing it was still free.

They all talk about going back to the older versions also. Guess the ones that say something good about it never had the other versions.

http://download.cnet.com/downloads/0-10077-601-7288909.html

I can not find anything about the adware version but believe me I seen it.

11. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

This site and everyone on it is always so very helpful. I have learned so much since first finding it. Here is a little something for you to check out --- XnView --- I found it while looking for a program to work on the .art graphics. You can view over 340 formatts and save in 40. It has a scan feature as well as capture and slide show. I loaded it because of all the formats you can view. The best is that it is free!!!!
    Getting off the subject, another program I loaded is MailWasher.
    Not a graphics program but a mail program. What it dose--- It intercepts your mail befor it gose into your main mail program.
    You have a choice of blocking or deleting the mail befor it gose into your main program. I like the bounce as it works as if the address is not valid. It sends it back as receipient not found.
    And it is also free.
    Thanks Much For Your Help
    DUTCH

12. hewee

hewee

Wow that's a lot of formats. I checked it out and will get it later. Be good to have if you ever need the added format support.
    Will still used the ACDsee because I bet it is much faster. The more they add to a program the slower they get. That is true with the newer ACDsee.
    I know about MailWasher and would like to get it but I don't want the free adware version.

Thanks again

13. padutch

padutch Thread Starter

Hewee.
    XnView is a pretty decent program and the price is just right.
    The MailWasher Program is just great. I used to go to the bottom of a spam mail and click the link to remove. What a joke, I would end up with 15 new ones the next day. I think they like to get the remove as they know it is a real address. MailWasher is very inexpensive. You just download the free one and you can donate any amount you want. Really , any amount. The guy figures even 5 bucks is good. Not a bad price to stop SPAM
    DUTCH

14. Sharon D

Sharon D

You know it's really odd (but good), but my husband and I have never once received SPAM in either of our OE accounts. I have received the odd SPAM here and there with my web based Yahoo! account though, but at least Yahoo has what they call a Bulk mail folder where most of the SPAM gets automatically downloaded into and is deleted after so many days or week. I really like the free image viewer Irfanview It's a good, small program.

15. hewee

hewee

padutch,

I will get both of the program later after I get my new PC. Don't need more on this PC just to move it to the new PC.

But I have been wanting the MailWasher Program for a long time but have to many things running now so did not want to add to it.
    Your right even buying it is cheap.

All ISP should spam programs but they don't care and I think main get paid to spam.
    Pink slips contracks.
    http://pinkbell.net/

New PC and ATT cable is comming for me. I can say good buy to a 28 k modem and spam.
    ATT also has a spam filter so I may not even need the MailWasher Program. But I like the bounce back part of MailWasher so they think they have a dead address. That way it will cut down on the spam you do get.

Sharon D,

Your lucky. What ISP do you have?
    If you feel bad about not having spam just let me know and I can always send you mine.:D

I use Hotmail and the spam I have set up to block all that are not on my list and it works. Seams to me that when Hotmail made it so you could do that, that's when I started getting lots of spam too.
    There are some spammer I can never block but I know they are the same spammer from the address that adds a number to there address but they keep changing the number.
    Plus look at how Hotmail is set up.
    The email in you inbox you can put a check by the email and click block. But the spam in the junk folder you can't that. You only get the block button if you open the email.
    Now that tells you who's side Hotmail is really on.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/58165

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice