1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphics

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Parsons123, Oct 5, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Parsons123

Parsons123 Thread Starter

Hey,

I just formatted my computer and have realised that my screen is around 800 x 600 i think. I want it to be 1024 x 768 and everytime i adjust it to be like that, it resets to 800 x 600. I have a Radeon 7000 graphics card.

Thanks

2. JKingsnorth

JKingsnorth

Did you reinstall the drivers for the video card?

3. Parsons123

I installed ati catalyst control center which says it comes with it. But i shall go and check now.

4. Parsons123

I can't find the drivers but it's already installed with the catalyst control center like i said.

5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    This is the current version for the ATI Radeon 7000 for Windows XP:

http://ati.amd.com/support/drivers/xp/radeon-prer300-xp.html

---------------------------------------------------------------

If you've successfully installed the ATI driver, it should be listed in Add/Remove Programs in the Control Panel as "ATI Display Driver"(or something similar to that). You may also see another entry that says "ATI Uninstall Utility"(or something similar to that). You should also be able to go into Display in the Control Panel and make changes to the resolution, color palette, refresh rate, etc..

----------------------------------------------------------------

6. Parsons123

Yep, it says ATI display driver and the uninstall utility.
    When i go to change the settings they just revert as soon as i apply the settings.

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The settings will revert back in 15 seconds or so if you don't accept the new settings. Are you doing that?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Right-click MY COMPUTER, click Properties - Hardware - Device Manager, then click the + in Display Adapters.

Is it showing the ATI Radeon 7000 or something else?

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. Parsons123

It says i'm running on 1024 x 768 on display and also it shows radeon 7000 series in device manager. I checked my screen settings and it says i'm running 800 x 600. I don't know how to change it :/

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If the "Display Properties" window "Settings" tab shows a resolution of 1024 X 768, you can assume that's what it's set to, regardless of what something else says. There's a noticable difference in size between 1024 X 768 and 800 X 600, and you would see the difference.

If you've got the display driver installed, and the resolution is resetting to 800 X 600, I don't know why it's doing that. I've been using the ATI Radeon 7000 64 MB video card in older desktops for years, and I've never had that problem.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/756353

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice