1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Graphix Web Site Need Help! Image Coding Good ~ But Most Images Don't Show

Discussion in 'Web Design & Development' started by WitchyWoman_0000, Sep 30, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WitchyWoman_0000

WitchyWoman_0000 Thread Starter

Hello..

Anyone who could give me a few suggestions about this issue, would be greatly appreciated. I have a graphix web site, one that is used by MySpace, Fubar, MyYearbook, etc., so the image count is really high. My problem is that many of the images aren't showing on the pages. You can see where the images go..but only that very aggravating little red 'x' is seen with the outline of where the image should be. I've had the coding checked more than once and have always been told that all was well there. I've recently had a friend create a database to simplify the add/deletion if images to the site. I also hoped that this would help with the uploading problem. It hasn't. The emails are pouring in with this same issue... so I know it isn't just my own set up computers. I'm at a loss. My so called server company (when I can get someone who speaks english) is not helpful at all.. and simply tell me each time that everything is fine, but I know something is wrong.. Just not what... Is there settings that should be altered at my server that might correct this problem? Thanks for any and all suggestions!

2. jdean

jdean

Are all your users seeing this problem? Can you post a link so that we can take a look?

3. WitchyWoman_0000

The web address is Witchys Wikked Graphix. Go to http://www.witchyswikkedgraphix.com/. You will note that many of the images don't show in all the categories... Thanks for you help

And yes... views are having the same problem.. Emails are pouing in! Help! ;)

4. jdean

jdean

I need to be sure you understood my question: is there one picture that fails for every single user? Or is it just that it fails for some of the users? If the former, please send me a link to a page that uses the image so that I can see what your users are seeing.

The reason I ask is that your site has been categorized by the OpenDNS filter as "tasteless" (ouch, sorry!) and therefore I can't view your stuff without turning the filter off. It's possible that other users have OpenDNS or some other filtering mechanism in place. These filters typically apply to the whole site, so once your site is categorized, every single image on the site is marked with that category.

Ok, the filter's off (takes several minutes for this to take effect with OpenDNS), and I am at your site, but I don't know where to look. I see plenty of images that display without a problem. So my best guess (with the information you've provided so far) is that your site is being filtered.

5. jdean

jdean

Problem #2: Your web server is sometimes returning the following:

HTTP 403.9 - Access Forbidden: Too many users are connected

6. WitchyWoman_0000

OMG! Tasteless? That's outrageous! How do I find out more about this ratings thing? As for the images... ... there is no imparticular page that is the problem. When a page is open.. some might be there.. but others haven't uploaded. When I right click where the image is supposed to be (ie red x) then click show image.. it works.... and shows.. but it should do so when the page opens... Do you still believe this might be a ratings/filter issue? I've never come across this ever... not on my own site.. or any of the others that are like mine.

7. WitchyWoman_0000

One more question... the error message that you got... too many user... is that a setting adjustment that I need to speak with my server company about?

8. namenotfound

namenotfound

There are some images I can't see right away, but I right click and "view image" to put it in my browser cache, then I can see them on the website. Not really sure why...

The images work once they're cached.

9. jdean

jdean

If there's an issue with ratings, you'd expect to see consistent behavior. You have to deal with this on a one-at-a-time basis. In this case, you can start with the service I mentioned (OpenDNS).

Inconsistent behavior would be explained by the second error, the HTTP error 403.9. This is definitely an issue for your server company. Ask them for a report showing the number and percentage of 403.9 errors. Since I saw this error just this morning, there's got to be at least one in today's log. Your users will not usually see this error; when a browser is unable to retrieve an img link, it displays a red x, not an error message.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/754995

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice