1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gravity

Discussion in 'Controversial Topics' started by airborne17, Feb 14, 2015.

Advertisement
  1. airborne17

airborne17 Banned Thread Starter

Have we any egg-heads among us ?

What is Gravity ? Everybody would say "It is the force the Earth exerts upon us so we do not go flying off into space by centrifugal force". Not scientifically good enough.

Newton's law of universal gravitation states that any two bodies in the universe attract each other with a force that is directly proportional to the product of their masses and inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the two bodies.

Newton`s 3rd law of motion states ;-
    For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction.

Is that good enough ? No.

Why does a mass possess an inherent gravitational force and how is this force generated from inert gaseous or rocky material ?
    After all, masses are just masses and forces have to be generated, so where does that leave the Earth conforming to Newtons 3rd law of motion ?

Gravity still remains one of the biggest mysteries of physics and the biggest obstacle to a universal theory that describes the functions of every interaction in the universe accurately.

If you think you can shed some light on this, please post your comments.

2. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

I doubt any body can shed much light on this subject its thought that the mutual attraction is caused by force carrying particles as in magnetism the force carrying particle is the virtual photon.As for gravity the force carrying particle would be the graviton which as yet is undiscovered.Einstein tells us gravity is caused by the geometry of space time and articles travel in the straightest possible line in a curved space time the larger the mass of the object the greater the warping of space time.As you say till some one solves the question of gravity the theory of everything seems a long way off.

3. airborne17

You have done very well in replying with a logical, meaningful and informative text.

I know that nobody on Earth has or does understand Gravity - where it comes from, what it is - why it exists at all, but I raised the subject to make people aware that a feature we accept in our daily lives - Gravity, is not just something that can be taken for granted. It is one of the most mysterious and as yet unsolved phenomena in Nature. Perhaps Science will eventually find a solution, but I would not place a bet on it.

Questions relating to Gravity are endless, but just one single point will suffice to raise the eyebrows. We refer to Gravitational Force, but every Force needs Energy to produce it. Where does Gravity get this Energy from ?

The Law of Conservation of Energy states that the total amount of energy in a system remains constant (is conserved), although energy within the system can be changed from one form to another or transferred from one object to another. Energy cannot be created or destroyed, but it can be transformed.

Gravity is not the specific property of Earth, it is fundamental to the entire Universe and since the Universe is infinite and the human brain is completely incapable of understanding what Infinity really means, we get more confused and complex as we develope the issue.

The mystery deepens.

I just hope that reading this small article will make people aware of the generally unacknowledged scientific mystery and unknown quantity of Gravity.

Thanks for posting.

4. airborne17

Gravity is present throughout the Universe as already stated.

An additional treat is that all Planets orbit around the Sun in the same direction.

All the Planets spin on their axis in the same direction - anticlockwise as viewed at their North Pole, with the exception of Venus and Uranus, which spin clockwise. They initially spun anticlockwise when the Solar System was formed, but it is thought that they were hit by huge Asteroids which changed their spin to clockwise.

All the Planets have magnetic fields excepting Venus and Mars. Venus rotates too slowly, has a liquid metal core of even temperature and therefore lacks the core convection needed for the creation of a magnetic field.

Mars is thought to have had a magnetic field in the past, but when the liquid metal core cooled and solidified, the lack of convection caused the magnetic field to become extinct.

The Sun also spins anticlockwise as viewed from its North Pole, just like the Planets, but being gas the spin rate most likely varies from pole to pole, especially at its Equator.

5. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

One can always speculate where the energy comes from to create gravity,without speculation theory's can't be formed.In my part of the world the phrase is you don't get owt for nowt (anything for nothing) is also applicable to gravity.
    Mass holds a great deal of energy multiply it by c^2 to see how much.Just supposing mass gives of gravitational waves with the graviton as the particle in the wave and the wave amplitude is greater at the gravitating mass . The gravitons fall of by one over the distance squared this would give Newtons law a close approximation of the truth.This would also mean the gravitating body would loose mass slightly over time.Max Plancs equation E=HF energy =Plancs constant times the frequency would mean the energy given off couldn't be zero.Gravity is the weakest of the forces so only where there is a large amount of mass is it noticeable.The latest theory's of everything including strings and 11 dimension is as difficult as your infinity to get your head round.

6. airborne17

Fine post, one of the best I have ever seen on a Forum and with a superb scientific/physics flavour.
    I studied Physics many one sixth gravitational Moons ago.

OK " you don't get owt for nowt", I heard that many times as a kiddy in Lancashire where I was born - Padiham, Burnley actually, usually followed by several EE by gums. I can visualise them saying EE by gum at this thread.

7. Lozzy-loz

Lozzy-loz

Its very obvious you've studied physics and I'm sure down the rabbit hole in wonderland the tutors and pupils were far better than in ee by gum land.Thank you for your posts

8. airborne17

I studied under the Grand Master Isaac Newton quite a few years ago under the apple tree.

9. valis

valis Moderator

Not entirely sure any of that stuck, however. Just so's I'm clear, your statement is 'nobody understands gravity', correct?

10. ekim68

ekim68

First Name:
    Mike
    And, how do you dispute Newton? :confused:

11. airborne17

Yes, my statement is correct and scientifically absolutely irrefutable.

If you have the answer to this mysterious natural phenomena, then please let us all know. The International scientific community would love to hear that the origin and formation of Gravitational force has been solved.

I will not engage in any argument, since I am no match for the world's scientific masterminds. If they do not know the answer to Gravity, how can I possibly dispute it, or even contribute. If it baffled Einstein, it sure baffles me.

The information I have given is as far as I can assure you is correct. You can of course discuss it in the context of a general Forum in terms of questions and answers, but from then on you either believe it or not.

Links on the web are extremely interesting of course, I have read many of them. Apart from contradiction and being inconclusive, they result in just good reading matter, contributory to the issue and enhancing knowledge.

12. Brigham

Brigham

First Name:
    John
    Look up "Bicep2" These results have since been refuted but it seems that some new evidence has been obtained in refuting them.

13. valis

valis Moderator

All I needed to see; stopped reading after that part.

Enjoy. :)

14. airborne17

I am awfully sorry Valis, I took your comment as a hidden challenge, since I do recognise you as being very much with it and extremely constructive and knowledgeable on most subjects. Nobody is infallible eh ?

15. airborne17

Who do you mean by you ?

Nobody disputes Newton except Einstein who did elaborate on the subject.

Newton simply defined how Gravity behaves, not why it exists in all masses within the Universe, or how it acquires the energy to produce attractive forces compatible with the Conservation of Energy theory.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143049

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice