1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Great: Time for new glasses.

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Skivvywaver, Jan 20, 2007.

Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

My glasses are about 11 years old. Hey, when I like something I keep it well past the time I should toss it in the can. This pair have been my all time favorite pair. Even though the photo sensitive lenses lost their memory years ago, I have kept them and worn them.

Lately I have been torn. The lenses are getting milky in a few places. They are not scratched but the polycarbonate is just aging. I have known it was time but man I have loved this pair. ;)

Today I tried to tighten them up for the 100th time and I ended up cracking the plastic on the ear piece. It had gotten brittle and refused to bend. :( I only cracked it on the outside so they are still wearable but the end is imminent. I have to face the fact that my old specs are going into the back-up mode. This is hard for me, I have worn this pair for 1/4 of my life. I paid over $400 for them and they have been worth every penny. I can't just replace these, they are irreplaceable however........things I have learned.

1. Never buy photo sensitive lenses. Since the move to polycarbs from glass the polycarbs lose memory and stay darker. If glass were only lighter. This pair has been dark for years. Yeah they still get really dark in the sun but they are tinted in the light.

2. Replace your glasses when you know it is time. Don't wait until it becomes an emergency. Now I won't have much time to shop for frames. I do know I want semi round frames like I already have and I know I want silver or pewter colored titanium. I wear bifocals but I am not so sure if I want the no line bifocals or if I want to just admit that I am 47 and start acting my age and not care. :p The no lines have a place where they are nether for close up or distance, the transition is hidden so you have an area that is freaking useless.

3. Pay the money. Good spectacles last one hell of a long time. If I can get 11 years out of each pair I am most likely only going to need maybe two more pairs after this new pair. Getting new glasses is the equivalent to throwing away all of my comfortable old blue jeans and starting with all new and stiff jeans IMO. I am going to hate them at first and I know it.

I know this sounds petty but I have never in my life worn a pair of glasses more than a couple of years before this pair. I was younger and something always happened to them before they needed changed. I have had them knocked of my face. I have gone to sleep with them on. I have even lost one pair. I never had a chance to get attached to them. :D

I think by maybe this time next week I will be sporting my new look and I am hopefull of being able to keep them pretty much the same. Like I mentioned this may sound petty but I really do not want new specs. I like these ones. :(

2. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

4. Don't avoid getting your eyes checked as soon as you sense a problem! Don't procrastinate like me...I have diabetes and have noticed a problem with my right eye...but remain in denial...stupidest thing I've ever done! :eek:

I bet you'll look just as handsome and dashing as ever Scott! :) Have a nice weekend! :)

P.S.-I'm wearing my brother's old glasses to see online! :D

3. Skivvywaver

:eek: I didn't think anybody was more stubborn than myself. I stand corrected. ;)

4. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Okay, slightly O/T [aren't I always?] but has anyone else passed up corrective surgery/contacts just because they were too attached to glasses?
    Or am I a weirdo?

5. angelize56

I can be stubborn at times! ;)

6. Skivvywaver

;) I work in conditions where eye protection is a very good idea. Yes I would like to be free of glasses but......I am amblyoptic and surgery isn't really an option. It can be done with no guarantees.

So, between needing to wear something to protect my eyes and having a lazy eye there is nothing I can do other than wear contacts which once again would do more harm than good because of the environment I work in.

Believe me, I have thought about and even consulted over corrective surgery. It really is not an option for me. :(

7. Space Cowboy

Space Cowboy

I'm also looking at new X Ray Spec's ;) since I just got some insurance. I have to have those get dark outside ones or else I get headaches. But I really can't stand bifocals .. I'm thinkin' of skipping that part and just taking them off for precession work like I do already. I'll probably end up buying them at Wally World :eek:

8. Skivvywaver

Yeah, me too. I know my right eye needs to be watched. If I let it get out of hand I could have an eye that either droops or points the wrong way. :eek: I am lucky really, most amblyoptic children are diagnosed because of a weird looking eye. I was diagnosed because I flunked the first vision test I was ever given.:D

I have worn glasses since I was in second grade. I am used to them. I guess they are part of me after 40 + years of wearing them. They do not bother me at all unless they get broken.

9. Skivvywaver

Nothing wrong with wally world really. I am going to look at their frames and if they have something I like I am buying from them also. Nothing wrong with saving some funds and I think wally world has rayban frames these days. ;)

10. angelize56

Hi Scott! :) William has a condition called "Duane's Syndrome"...if he looks a certian way...like to the left...he looks a tad crosseyed...it's not really noticeable except to some kids he went to school with who teased him about it! :mad: :( He also has one blue eye and one green eye...and a true diagnosis of "crocodile tears"! His optic nerve grew into his salivary nerve so when he was younger he would salivate out of his eyes instead of his mouth! He seems to have outgrown that though! (y) He wants to have surgery done to correct the eye trouble associated with the "Duanes'"...but there's not a huge guarantee it will work...so I say leave things as they are for now! His vision is not affected by the "Duane's". I think he got these problems because when I first got pregnant I was managing a gas station and when I'd go in the back room to count money I'd get really sleepy! This went on for three months...finally found out why...there was carbon monoxide being pumped inot the kiosk! :eek: So I think this caused his defects! I could be wrong...but the timing was right...

11. angelize56

Dave: I just noticed you have a profile pic up....(y) :) Good to have a face to go with the friendliness! :)

12. Skivvywaver

Yeah, now we know what he looks like. :D He can no longer hide.

SC, did that pair come from wally world?

13. Knotbored

Knotbored

I had cateract surgery 3 years ago-easiest and painless thing I ever had done by a doctor. (both eyes)
    Previously my eyesite was off the charts bad, doc said "it's about 20/200 but at 20 feet you are about blind."
    After surgery its about 20/40 (I can read roadsigns well enough to drive but can't make out a newspaper well.)
    I bought about 10 pairs of reading glasses from a discount store going out-of-business for half a dollar each to use for a month after operation until I could get an eye test. (every magnification from 1.00 to 3.75)
    My suggestion for everyone over 40- get a special pair only for computer use !! Get from Wallyworld or Dollar store if you must-but computer distance glasses are definatly different then reading distance or driving distance. (I have both perscription and dollar store for computer and see only a very small benefit of $300 pair over the $1 pair.)

14. lexmarks567

lexmarks567

i think theres a pill you can get that supposed to correct your vision.I want to get rid of my glasses also. Im nearsighted but use them all the time

15. hewee

hewee

I know I am way over do for a eye checkup and new glasses. Also bifocals are needed or they said so like 8 years or so when I got the ones I am wearing now but I said no. I have metal frames and they have broken 3 times. The screw holding the lens snaped ogg one sunday and I am blind as can be without glasses so went to wallmart. Then the guy drilled out the screw and even screwed up and did not drill it out right so it is a very small screw with a nut added to it. Then the other side did the same thing 18 months ago when I was at the doctors and the lens fell out and chipped on the upper inside edge. But I went over to the eye dept. there in the next building and they fixed it right. Then a couple months bacj the nose piece that is hooked to the frame broke off. :eek:
    But I had my even older glasses still that are no good but for use if I lose these and they are the very same frame so I am take parts from each to get me going again.
    So I really need to get my eyes checked and get some new one. Then maybe get two so I can have one for the computer/ reading and then another for all around because I don't think I want to get bifocals but I know I need them because it is very hard to read a paper with the glasses at the end of my nose.
    Then cateract surgery helping out Knotbored is the same thing that happen to my dad. His eyes are now better then they have been in 30 years or more.
    So I guess cateract surgery is really the same as the laser surgery you can get so I should see if I can get that. It sure would be nice to see more then 7 inches in front of me before all starts getting fuzzy. I started wearing glass when I was 7 years old so be nice not to or only to read. They will not have to be so big and thick either. Plus I like glass so they are thicker and not very light.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536935

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice