1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Greater Control of Start Up

Discussion in 'Windows 10' started by dhnp, Mar 19, 2020.

Advertisement
  1. dhnp

dhnp Thread Starter

Hi forum, recently I've been frustrated by programs adding themselves to startup folder.
    I know how to remove them from startup but was wondering if there is a way to gain more control of this process.
    Potentially lock this folder, force windows to ask permission before the startup folder is changed.

It's mainly a frustration issue and underlying worry that something damaging could be started at boot up

Thanks in advance !!

2. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    What programs are you having this issue with?

3. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    James
    There is really nothing you can do if it's part of the install setup. Some programs may give you the option to but that's been few and far between.

You can disable them in Startup tab of Task Manager but other than that, maybe within the program itself.

4. dhnp

dhnp Thread Starter

Thanks for replying
    Of late I had noticed that Chrome and Firefox were for some reason starting at computer logon.
    Other programs periodically
    As I mentioned I wanted to see if there was a way of stopping this
    I seem to remember using WinPatrol for something similar years ago

5. DaveA

DaveA Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    David
    Since I have neither of those programs installed on any of my machines, I do not know what their default settings are.

I have installed a lot of programs and have NOT had any to be in the startup except for those that one should have. Most protection type need to be started all the time.

6. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    Are you closing the programs before shutting down ? Windows 10 version 1709 and newer now open any programs that were still running when you shutdown.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2020
  7. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The "Tools - Startup" feature of Piriform CCleaner works great for controlling what auto-loads and runs in the background.

Select the "Windows" or "Scheduled Tasks" or "Services" that you don't want auto-loading and running in the background, then click "Disable".

---------------------------------------------------------------

8. dhnp

dhnp Thread Starter

Thanks, this may be part the reason
    I will pay extra care to closing the programs before shutdown
    THANKS AGAIN

9. dhnp

dhnp Thread Starter

THANKS I use this program to periodically clean but had forgotten about the capcity to disable, remove start up programs
    I'll use this as well
    THANKS AGAIN for help

10. dhnp

dhnp Thread Starter

Thanks I am going to be extra careful for a while and see if I can identify the precursor steps (what I am doing or not doing) to the unwanted startups

11. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

First Name:
    Damienne
    It is normal for "GoogleUpdateTaskMachineCore" and"GoogleUpdateTaskMachineUA" to be in your startup folder upon installation.You can disable them both.There may also be a "Google Update service (Gupdate)" and a "Google Update Service (Gupdatem) in your administrative services.Do not disable the two in administrative services or you chrome will not update itself,therefore causing instability issues with chrome.
    Firefox also has startup entries in both startup folder and administrative services.I can't remember what they are as i no longer have firefox.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    dhnp:
    You're welcome.

snuffleufflegus:
    When you disable entries in CCleaner, it doesn't change their startup type to "Disabled" in the Services list.
    It changes them to "Manual".
    I refuse to use Google Chrome, but I do use Mozilla Firefox.
    I disable several unneeded extensions in "Browser Plug-ins".

13. snuffleufflegus

snuffleufflegus

First Name:
    Damienne
    Morning Frank..
    I was referring to disabling to the entries manually in administrative services.Not using Ccleaner.I was only referring to the first two in the startup folder using Ccleaner.Sorry,i should of specified.
    Personally,i dont use Ccleaner to disable anything.I use the Msconfig utility,and go straight to administrative services and set them accordingly.I also use "Autoruns" for unseen entries.I only use Ccleaner for cleanup,that is however without using the registry cleaner as i use regscanner for that to do it manually.
    again,sorry for the unspecification..Good day frank..Off to work.

14. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    No going to work for me. I'm retired. :D

I also manage running processes in the startup list(msconfig) and services list(services.msc), but CCleaner makes the process easier. so I use both methods. (y)

snuffleufflegus likes this.
  15. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
  16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1241759

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice