Greatest American ?

RSM123

Here in England the BBC recently broadcast a series culminating in a poll to determine who the viewers held to be the 100 Greatest Britons.

The final list caused a fair amount of negative feedback due to some of the more unlikely choices, among whom were a long time Radio D.J, and David Beckham (footballer, media 'icon', and husband of the artist formerly known as Posh Spice :) ) Whereas in contrast people such as Byron and Keats were not nominated. Others felt rightly or wrongly that placing Diana Princess of Wales at #6 was a gross exaggeration of her impact on British culture, and more emotive than anything else.

I am interested in hearing who other board members here would vote for in a similar poll of Great Americans.

I went to a school for Air Force brats here in England. We had tutors from all NATO nations, and having studied American History I would have thought either George Washington or F.D.R would be first choice owing to the impact they each had on America in two such critical periods.

Any ideas most welcome.

RSM123

RSM123..........Just out of curiosity, who was voted number one? I would have voted for Winston Churchill.

pyritechips

Jim
Gone but Never Forgotten
Oh Great!

Now you-know-who is going to volunteer for greatest American!!:rolleyes:

G

Gilgarath

RSM123,

My vote would be for .....Roy Rogers and his horse "Trigger".

Now you might think that I'm being facitious....but, I'm deadly serious........;) ;) ;)

He would be automatically excluded, because he would WANT to be in the list.

I think Churchill won the British list.

Regards

Howard:D

RSM123

Sorry For Delay.

Winston Churchill was the 'winner'.

RSM123

Perhaps he could be greaest American also as his mother Jennie Jerome hailed from the USA ?? :)

I am trying to get a decent link to the full list as some I found have them over 10 pages = or each name in active text so you can click for a brief bio.

eggplant43

A True Heart and Soul - Gone But Never Forgotten
This list should get you know who going:;)

Eleonor Roosevelt, Martin Luther King, Thomas Edison, The Wright Brothers, Albert Einstein, Alfred Hitchcock, Bob Hope, Thomas Jefferson, Ben Franklin, George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Jimmy Carter, Jonas Salk, Walt Disney, Bill Gates, David Sarnoff, Florence Nightengale, Rosa Parks, Margaret Sanger, more later.....

Originally posted by bigh47:
He would be automatically excluded, because he would WANT to be in the list.

I think Churchill won the British list.

Regards

Howard:D
No, I don't WANT to be in the list--I MUST be in the list, if its gonna be accurate! ;)

Originally posted by RSM123:
Sorry For Delay.

Winston Churchill was the 'winner'.
Can I call it or what. ;)

Eggy, IMO, is headed in the right direction. I would agree with Jefferson and Lincoln. The rest of the men and women cited are (no disrespect intended) one dimensional as to accomplishments. Not that this makes their accomplishments any less amazing just not on par with a Lincoln or Churchill.

I pushed for Churchill as the greatest in the last 100 years. Limiting ourselves to Americans makes it more difficult (technically Einstein, Hitchcock, Hope, Jefferson, Franklin and Washington were/are not Americans).

Originally posted by Rhettman5.1:
Churchill won !!:eek: ... I was sure it would be Joanne Guest !!!
Churchill may have been born English, but somewhere along the line, he became a Yank!!! ;)

Originally posted by gbrumb:
Can I call it or what. ;)

Eggy, IMO, is headed in the right direction. I would agree with Jefferson and Lincoln. The rest of the men and women cited are (no disrespect intended) one dimensional as to accomplishments. Not that this makes their accomplishments any less amazing just not on par with a Lincoln or Churchill.
I agree, but since the list is of 100 Americans, I think there's some leeway because I'll bet you can't find 100 as great as a Lincoln.

And no, Mulder doesn't count as 50. ;)

If you're talking 100 people who had the greatest impact on American history/culuture, you'd have to have a mix of political figures as well as soldiers and artists and scientists and even sports figures. So for instance Babe Ruth or MacArthur should be on the list.

Originally posted by gbrumb:

Limiting ourselves to Americans makes it more difficult (technically Einstein, Hitchcock, Hope, Jefferson, Franklin and Washington were/are not Americans).
I think a special case can be made for Jefferson, Franklin and Washington in that they were born on what became American soil and were original American citizens.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online