1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

greek file paths problem

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by sklpns, May 24, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sklpns

sklpns Thread Starter

Hello everyone! New here with this problem, hope I'm entering it under the right category (if not, sorry)

I have a local and a network folder embeded in a tiddlywiki page in iframes.
    They both contain folders, .doc and .xls files with both greek and english names.
    I've set up the open office plugin to show the aforementioned files within browser, so the frames work as
    a sort of view area (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=94384&page=2 ).

At the same time I need to be able to open the folders / files in their native windows environment.
    The above configuration doesn't allow that as .doc and .xls links open in the open office environment by default.

A number of firefox add-ons (Open With 4.0 / https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/11097/,
    IE Tab 2 / https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/92382/) provide the functionality to open firefox links in different browsers and/or programs.

I've set up explorer, winword.exe and excel.exe as manual entries in the Open With add-on which allows you to right click on firefox links and select to open them with these applications. Other add-ons allow you to do the same thing with internet explorer or a chosen application.

They all present the following problem:

The plugin works perfectly when opening the folder file:///C:/a with explorer
    and the files file:///C:/a/a.doc with winword and file:///C:/a/a.xls with excel.exe.

But I get a path does not exist or is not a directory error when trying to open the folder file:///C:/α (greek character) with explorer.
    When opening file:///C:/α/α.doc with winword.exe I get a blank word document
    and when opening file:///C:/α/α.xls with excel.exe I get a file could not be accessed error in excel,
    asking to make sure that the file exists, it's not read only, the file name does not contain illegal characters
    and the file path does not contain more than 218 characters. When ok-ing that I get a blank excel document.

If so chosen by the firefox options menu the files with greek file paths / names open ok when left clicked via the firefox default applicatiions (tested with word/excel/open office).

The above have been tested with FF 3.5.9 and 3.6.3 in Win XP Home Greek and
    Win XP Pro English.

According to firefox support this is a windows issue (thus I'm placing the question under the XP category).

I've tried right clicking, copying the link location and pasting them in the start > run application

the folder file:///C:/a gets translated to file:///C:/a (the same) and opens ok. The same happens with
    file:///C:/a/a.doc and file:///C:/a/a.xls

but the folder file:///C:/α gets translated to file:///C:/%CE%B1,
    and the files file:///C:/α/α.doc and file:///C:/α/α.xls get translated to
    file:///C:/%CE%B1/%CE%B1.doc and file:///C:/%CE%B1/%CE%B1.xls respectively
    and they don't work in windows (path does not exist error).

Same thing happens when pasting the links in windows explorer or the respected applications (ms-word / ms-excel). Yet they all work ok if typing the path in the run application or explorer etc

Any ideas? Since the above functionality is absolutely essential
    for a project I'm working on, any help would greatly appreciated.

Thank you all in advance

sklpns

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/924912

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice