1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Green Living

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by Bush Lady, Jan 28, 2011.

1. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Air Dry Dishes in Your Dishwasher
    After unloading the dishwasher and before you load it with dirty dishes, use the empty racks to air dry all the dishes that require hand washing such as large pots, cookie sheets, wine glasses, etc. I used to spread towels on the counter, but this way saves counter space and towels.

Uses for Old Underwear
    I have found that clean old underwear makes a great dust cloth. The soft cotton dose not scratch furniture and it saves money. I also use them instead of paper towels when I clean windows and glass.
    You can also cut them apart and use them for handkerchiefs. Children love to use them this way, because they are cooler looking then the plain white ones. and unlike tissues, they go in the washing machine instead of the trash can.

By McCollonough from TN

Uses for Old Floor Mats
    Don't toss old floor mats from your car. Use them under your car in the garage to catch leaking fluids, as door mats to store shoes on, or to keep dirt and debris from being tracked into your home. Keep a couple in your car trunk in case anything leaks or if you're ever in need of extra tire traction.

By duckie-do from Cortez, CO

Recycle Your Old Cell Phones And Computers
    Many places take old phones and computer parts. Old phones are used to allow battered women to call 911 in the event of an emergency. The old batteries in them are recycled and disposed of properly. When this happens we don't need to worry about what leaches into our drinking water. Old computer parts are broken down and melted and used to make other parts. Sometimes there are parts that can be saved and added to another computer.
    I'd really love for my Grandson to grow up knowing his world is taken care of. It would be wonderful to know that people think ahead and decide the future now rather than when it is too late. So be sure you ask about recycling at the plant or through your public information centers. Oh, and take those old batteries you have been saving and dispose of them properly while you are at it! It is all of our business to know our Earth is free and clean.

By Gem from VA

Food for Tomato Plants
    Keep chopped banana skins your refrigerator or freezer until there is enough to fill a blender 2/3 of the way. Add a cup of water and blend to a slurry. Place slurry into a normal sized bucket (9 litre) and fill half-way with water. Mix well and apply a cup fortnightly (every 2 weeks) to tomato seedlings and the base of growing tomato plants. The liquid contains magnesium, phosphates, calcium and other minerals. Because of it's sulphur content, it is also suitable for all brassicas (Cabbage, Cauliflowers, Broccoli etc)

Source: Experimental adapted in a new form for different plants for Companion Planting in Australia by Brenda Little

By Roger from Adelaide, South Australia

Vinegar as a Fabric Softener
    To avoid gunk buildup in my washer's fabric dispenser, I use straight vinegar in a Downey ball. It's healthier, cleaner, and cheaper than fabric softener. The vinegar does not leave a smell and works great. The clothes are as soft as if a fabric softener had been used. My daughter taught me this 4 years ago. It works, give it a try.
    By wannycan from Grand Prairie, TX

Coffee Grounds to Deodorize Refrigerator
    Odors in the Fridge or freezer will be gone overnight if you place a dish of used coffee grounds in a bowl and place in the center of refrigerator/freezer. Works better then baking soda!
    By DCW816 from Hampton, TN

2. 3dogs4me

3dogs4me

any green hints on how to get the smell out of our guest bedroom? Visitor had a cat in there and although she pooper scooped it smells awful! I am not a fan a fabreeze.
    I tried sprinkling baking soda all over the carpet, but it seems that is has permeated all corners of the room, including spare bed. argh

3. Bush Lady

Bush Lady Thread Starter

Have you ever considered trying bleach. But don't mix to much in your cleaning solution. Your carpets will have color faded spots from the bleach. Or if you could find some kind of cleaner that is good for carpets with bleach in it.

That's all I could thing of.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/977615

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice