1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Green mobo light, briefly powers on but then off

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Zenoxio, Aug 8, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Just moved to a new apartment and now my custom rig won't power on.

The mobo light is green.

When I try to power it on via the button, every powers on (fans spin etc) for a second then shuts down again. It won't power on again until I flip the switch.

I checked the voltage setting and it's at 115 which is right since I'm in the US. I had tried 230 once when I found it wasn't turning on and it stayed on, but I powered it off since that shouldn't be the setting to use.

Any idea what this would indicate? What causes the power to instantly shut off?

Specs:

Vid card: XFX HD-585X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5850 1GB 256-bit DDR5
    Mobo: SERVER_MB ASUS|P6T WS PRO X58 R
    Case: CASE ANTEC|NINE HUNDRED BK RT
    CPU: Intel Core i7 Processor i7-920 2.66GHz 8MB LGA1366 CPU
    CPU fan: ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm
    PSU: PSU RAIDMAX | HYBRID2 RX-730SS 730W
    RAM: MEM 2Gx3|CORSAIR TR3X6G1600C8 G

2. enosoma

enosoma

Try another power outlet. Sounds like the one you have is faulty (i.e. not getting enough voltage or there's a hum or static). If that's seems to work, call an electrician.

I am not an electrician or for that matter certain that I am correct.

3. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

It's in a power strip with another computer and the other computer works fine. But I tested it on another outlet, still same issue.

4. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    Please post your system specs, To include Make and model System if Big Box, or same info for the following if custom or home built, Mother Board (including Revision number), Processor (Exact Model Number), Ram, Video Card, Hdd(s), Optical Drive(s), Power Supply Manufacturer Model, Wattage and Amperage on the +12V Rails, OS, and any other peripherals installed on the motherboard.

5. Zenoxio

Zenoxio Thread Starter

Edited into OP. Let me get the rest of the info.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1011450

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice