1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Green pixels showing up on screen

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DarrenClogg, Feb 22, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. DarrenClogg

DarrenClogg Thread Starter

hello

I have been having this problem for a while now and i'm wondering if it has anything to do with my graphics card?. In the past it started out as little green pixels showing up on my desktop, then as i used my computer more and more it got worse and worse. The green pixels starting to get bigger and purple pixels started to show up as well...Most of the time now when i play my games, such as (Dota 2, TF2 and gmod) i get weird glitches, flashing, green and purple pixels showing up and some of the time it would be really bad that my computer will bluescreen.

I dont know what the problem is but i really want to get it fixed right away...Is my graphics card dying? do i need to get it replaced?....

i hope someone out there can help me out with this unknown problem of mine. Thank you!

Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
    OS Version: Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate, Service Pack 1, 64 bit
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 15 Stepping 11
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 5050 Mb
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon HD 4800 Series, 512 Mb
    Hard Drives: C: Total - 953867 MB, Free - 417066 MB; D: Total - 238472 MB, Free - 238365 MB;
    Motherboard: Intel Corporation, DG33FB
    Antivirus: Norton 360, Updated and Enabled

2. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    It sounds like it may be overheating. When was the last time you opened up the case and blew the dust out with a can of air?

3. DarrenClogg

I only just recently opened it up yesterday and brushed out all the dust within my monitor. The fans are working fine too, but still experiencing the same problem.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    The Intel DG33FB motherboard supports up to 8 GB(2 GB X 4) of DDR2-800 RAM.

Since you use your computer for gaming, you should max it out with RAM.

Do you have a CRT box-type monitor or a LCD flat-screen monitor?

Going inside a monitor to service or clean it is a good way to electrocute yourself.

Have you tried a different monitor?

--------------------------------------------------------------------

5. DarrenClogg

I have a LCD flat screen, but don't worry i took out all the plugs before hand.

I haven't tried a different monitor yet...

Tho, if it is overheating will the weather effect it too? its summer over here and temperature is about 30-40 degrees nearly every day.

6. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Trying a different monitor will confirm if it's the current LCD monitor or if it's the graphics device.

That equates to about 86 - 104 degrees Fahrenheit, so I don't know if that's warm enough to cause the interior of the case to overheat.

-------------------------------------------------------------

7. managed

managed Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Allan
    I'm fairly sure dustjay meant the Graphics card might be overheating.

8. dustyjay

dustyjay

First Name:
    Jay
    That Is what I meant. And it was just a possibility.

9. DarrenClogg

hmm, my computer has been installed with 4 fans, thats why i was uncertain if it was over heating...tho my graphics card does get extremely hot after i use my computer for a while.

I just tried another monitor and still having the same problem. >.<

10. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    I see your mobo has integrated Graphics. Try enabling that in the Bios and connect the Monitor to that output and check if the problem goes away. You may have to remove the Graphics card to enable it, some mobos auto switch to the card.

11. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    More fans does not necessarily mean better cooling, too many or incorrectly installed can actually reduce cooling efficiency!

Do you see any of the glitches, green dots etc when your first turn the PC on .. .before Windows starts up? If yes, then it is likely a physical failure of the graphics card. If they only occur after you have logged into Windows then it could be drivers or overheating.

12. DarrenClogg

It Doesn't occur when it starts up, no. It would start to show the green artifacts and glitches if i start up a game. Mostly happens straight away in Skyrim and Dota 2.

Games like Gmod, it takes a while before it starts glitching out.

Any solutions to stop it from overheating?

13. DarrenClogg

I enabled it to that output but my BIOS doesn't recognize it and shows no startup/BIOS display on my screen. I had to use the jumpers within the computer and set it back to its default settings

14. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Definately sounds like an overheating issue then, although it could be at the point where some damage has occurred already hence why it is getting worse and worse.

How, exactly are your internal fans setup? i.e. location in the case and if it is blowing air in or out?
    Are are the cables tidy in the case, make sure that as many as possible are secured to the inside edge of the case or behind the motherboard if that can be done with your case. You want the main internal area to be as free from obstruction as possible to maximise airflow.

You could also use something like MSI Afterburner (free download) to setup a custom fan speed profile. This can be used to automatically set the fan speed higher as the temp increases. The system should do this by default anyway but it may be that with your current setup that the default speeds aren't enough to produce sufficient cooling. I use this on my system at home, the downside is that higher fan speeds will generate more noise.

15. managed

First Name:
    Allan
    If you didn't disconnect the Graphics card the Bios could have gone back to using it.

Another thing to try is making a screen-shot by pressing the 'Print Screen' key when the problem is on the screen.
    Then open Paint (All programs > Accessories) and click on Paste (if it's not shown click Edit near top left then Paste).

Tell us if the problem is also present on the screen-shot please. If it is then it's almost certainly a Graphics card problem.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143575

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice