1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Green Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by tom_v, Jan 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. tom_v

tom_v Thread Starter

I bought a computer for the family for Christmas. Everything fine for two weeks and one day when I came home from work the screen was all green. No Desktop. When i rebooted same thing. From here I can access the task manager (ctrl-alt-delete) and run anything on my computer I just don't have a desktop. Any help would be appreciated as I am fairly new to computers.

2. SexyTech

SexyTech

Welcome to TSG!

What happens if you press the Window key on the keyboard? does the start menu come up?

Try booting into "Safe Mode" and log in as "Administrator" and see what happens there.

If all is good in safe mode, you may have a corrupt user profile or something else starting up that is killing the desktop.

Let us know what you find.

ST

3. tom_v

tom_v Thread Starter

Really appreciate the response. I tried pressing the windows button on the keyboard with no result. Also have tried safe mode....when it boots up i get to the same green screen but with the words "safe mode" in each corner. Really stuck and need help. Thanks again.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

I'd start by checking the integrity of the connection to the monitor, it sounds like the plug is falling out!

5. SexyTech

SexyTech

Try bringing up task manager and running "explorer.exe"

If explorer brings everything up, you'll know that's where the problem lies

you might also want to try and access "System Restore"

it's "rstrui.exe"

6. tom_v

tom_v Thread Starter

I tried explorer.exe and a window popped up for 1 second and then automatically closed. I also tried rstrui.exe and it said file not found. Hope this helps a little in describing the problem.

7. Emtronics

Emtronics

Have you tried the Recovery CD that came with the computer? (I am assuming you bought this from a retail store) It should be bootable. Insert the Recovery CD into the ROM and shut down. Reboot the computer and it should boot from the CD (Hopefully). Since you only have had this computer for a few weeks, I'd would haul it back for warranty work. This sounds like a hardware failure or a very bad virus.

8. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

It's most likely a problem with the Monitor or the connection. Have you tried a different one?

Possibly it could be the video card, but if the problem is occuring in Safe Mode, I doubt it.

9. tom_v

tom_v Thread Starter

Hopefully this will clear up everything. I went to microsofts website and it mentioned this problem (no desktop at bootup) so I read and it said something about %systemroot% so i went into task manager and in the run line typed %system root% and hit enter and the desktop comes right up with my backround and everything. Along with that a window pops up titled "mirc". I did a search for this and it is a "configuration settings" type file. Should I delete this file? When I shut the computer down and reboot same green screen and when I perform the above its fine, so it is not a permanent fix. Otherwise the computer works fine and all files and everything is accessable.

And this is a computer that was built for me so there is no recovery disc and no warranty. It was a good deal though at $450.00.

Any feed back is highly appreciated. Thanks to all that have already helped and those who reply in the future.

10. tom_v

tom_v Thread Starter

any other ideas anybody?

11. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

Can you give a link to the article you referred to; your "resolution" for that type of problem, now that I understand it better, is not one I recall seeing before on their site.

Also now that you can get on the net, would you download, unzip and run the StartupList program from the site below, and then copy/paste the results to a reply.

http://www.lurkhere.com/~nicefiles/

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113390

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice