1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Greetings from the newbie

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Xander, Sep 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

Just found this place. Hi there.

Anyhow, reason I was searching for a place like this is I'm having a bit of a problem with my rig. I blew it up last week(fan on the video card gave out, didn't realize it until my screen went black and a really interesting smell started coming from my tower). Sent it in, they gave me a new vid card(FX 5600) and I'm pretty sure they exchanged my processor(Athlon 2700) with one that has a bigger cooling fan. This one has a fan on it that sounds like a damn jet engine taking off in my den. Possibly a new motherboard, but I'm not sure. Got it back this morning, and am having some issues.

It started off that I couldn't play any games. I'd go to Yahoo Games on Demand and fire one up, and it'd work for about 2 minutes, and then give me the "Microsoft has detected an error and needs to shut this program down" thing. Once or twice, I got a blue screen. So I fired up a CD based game(Warcraft III), and it worked for about 2 minutes, and then just locked up my whole system.

So I did a system restore from before I blew up my rig.

Now I'm getting a lot of Blue Screens stating that Windows had to shut down to avoid damage to my computer, and that it was dumping physical memory into my hard drive just while surfing, and my IE browsers get those Microsoft error messages every so often.

I *assumed* this was a hardware issue, namely a bad RAM stick, as the system restore did absolutely nothing to help. I've got a new video card and RAM stick coming out to me next day air for me to install, but I noticed on the last blue screen that the "Stop" reason listed is something called my savrt.sys file. I've never heard of this dang thing. Did some searching on it on the net, and can't determine if it's associated with my display drivers and video card, or if it's a driver for my anti-virus(Norton--expired trial version). And I've seen nowhere that I can download this thing.

Has anyone ever run into this before? Is my problem NOT a hardware issue, but rather because of this file/driver? If so, anyone know where I can download a fresh one? I'd just do a complete clean XP install, but my driver discs weren't sent back with the computer(yes, they're coming with my RAM stick and vid card). Plus, I had an absolute bear of a time getting my system to accept/detect the vid card. Have OEM XP and it just doesn't like to install certain files, such as viaagp1.sys(a vid card driver), so if I can avoid a full wipe and redo, I'd like to go that route.

Any help would be mucho appreciated.

2. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy Xander...

First boot to Safe Mode ( by tapping the F8 key during boot ), go into Device Manager and remove the Video card, then reinstall it...

Assuming you are using XP, go here for the drivers Nvida, for the video card...

For the viaagp1.sys, you may have to go here VIA, and download and install the latest 4in1 drivers...

3. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

No dice, I'm afraid. Went and did all that, booted back up, it detected the hardware, I downloaded the drivers, rebooted again, and loaded up WC III to test it...does the same thing. Other thing I noticed is at the startup screen where it's giving me the graphics card info and BIOS statement, the screen looks as though someone is shaking it, what with the letters vibrating and all. Only screen it does that at.

I'm thinking maybe it is a hardware issue. I got a smaller error box that said something about not being able to read memory...just not sure if it meant the video card memory or the RAM card memory.

Appreciate the advice on it, though :). Gods, I musta really screwed this thing up last week, lol

4. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

HMMM...

Odd...The FX 5600, is it the exact same card as the old one ?

If not you may have to adjust the AGP settings in the BIOS, or it could be a bad card as well...

5. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

HMMM...

Exactly where did this box pop up, was it in the boot up or in Windows

6. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

I believe the video card is the same brand as the last one...they were both 5600's, I know that much for fact. I didn't really give it much thought, as it showed up as ok in my display adaptor profile when I first fired my system back up upon getting it back.

The error box came up when I loaded up Warcraft III a little while ago. First time I had gotten that particular error message...with WC III usually it just freezes up my system and I have to reboot(at least today).

I just can't think of any software that would cause a memory error like that. Could be a bad vid card, I suppose...these cards Quadigy(company I bought my rig from...shoulda known better than to not build my own) uses are made by some company I've never even heard of before(Jaton 3dForce FX 5600), so I'm not confident of their quality. Shoulda known when I saw that the motherboards Quadigy used were the Asus A7V8X-X's, but alas...the price was too good to pass up.

Now I must suffer :p. But not without a fight with my system, hehe.

I'm not too confident with screwing with the BIOS...I'm the type of person who knows just enough to be dangerous if I need to be, but just as much to my system as any others, lol :p. I'm a pretty good with networking, but this sort of thing is out of my area.

7. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

OK the A7V8X does use a VIA chipset, have you installed the latest 4in1's, then reinstalled the vid card ?

8. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

Aye, first thing I did...tried it again just now to do the hoping bit...still won't fly. Game loads for about a minute, freezes up, session over :(.

Gotta be a hardware thing. Will find out tomorrow when the UPS guy shows up. Least they were nice enough to give me a 1 GB stick of RAM to replace my 512 stick I think is busted out.

9. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Ok let us know...yea sounds like you're right on the hardware, it's either RAM or vid card...

10. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

I am *COMPLETELY* at a loss now. I got my new RAM and video card today. The video card is an Apollo FX 5600, so better quality than that Jaton one. Went ahead and went from 512 RAM to a gig of it, and also upgraded from PC 2700 to PC3200. Just to be safe, I reformatted my hard drive and reinstalled Windows, all my drivers, the works....

The games are STILL locking up. I'm still getting error messages when I play Yahoo games on demand, and while Warcraft III worked for about 10 minutes earlier(it would only work for 30 seconds to 2 minutes before), it locked up my system again, as well.

The only upside is I haven't had any Blue Screens stating that my .sys file is causing Stops.

My system never did this before my video card blew up last week...

Anyone have any other ideas? Could it be the hard drive? I did a defrag on it, figuring maybe it'd pick up any bad sectors, but I'm not sure...XP doesn't have the ScanDisk thing like 98 had that I can tell. Motherboard? Processor?

11. Denim

Denim

Xander, did you try Reformatting the HD, and Scanning the Disk for errors, when You did the fresh install of Windows? You might want to try that to see if there are any errors on your disk,and Have windows to fix them automatically for you. And see if that helps out any.
    Just a suggestion is all.
    Denim

12. dloya

dloya

another newbie here...I also need help with something. I deleted something off the registry and was wondering if it could be restored...the item I deleted was "AppInit_dlls." Can anyone tell me what this does and whether it can be restored after being deleted? Thanks so much

Dloya

13. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

I wasn't aware that XP had a disk scan...I've never seen the option. Where might I find it?

14. jydiver

jydiver

Hi Xander,

Right click the C: drive in my computer Properties\Tools

15. Xander

Xander Thread Starter

Danke :). Went ahead and did that, though it didn't turn anything up that I saw. I'm leaning towards a motherboard problem at this point. It's not the RAM, it's not a driver issue, there's really not any software on this system right now, video card seems to be working ok, etc.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/165545

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice