Gremlins in a Dell 8600 Laptop?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Icepicjoey

I'm working on a friend’s laptop; at first I did the normal cleanup, adaware, spybot, windows update and an antivirus scan and added Firefox.

He is computer illiterate and his daughter uses the computer primarily. I mentioned spy ware (It was loaded with it) and he looks at me like I have two heads.

But then another problem raised its ugly head while I was fiddling around with it. My friend’s daughter kept telling him about a problem with something flashing. I just assumed it was a pop up for spy ware.

But it’s almost like the up and left arrow keys are constantly held down or being pressed. I'll click on something on the desktop and before I can double click, my computer is highlighted. Or whatever is in the top left corner of whatever window I have open.

When I shut it down for an hour or so, the problem will take about five minutes or so to start up. But when it starts, it won’t quit. Restarting, uninstalling and reinstalling keyboard drivers do nothing for it. I even removed the keys themselves to see if something was stuck under them. When you try to type it comes out backwards, because the cursor keeps resetting itself to the beginning of the line.

When I restart there’s a constant beeping during post, like when you hold down an F key too long when trying to get to the bios.

It’s a Dell Inspiron 8600, XP Home SP-2, 1.7 Ghz, 60 Gig drive, Nvidia card. He bought it refurbished at a computer show with no contract.

It seem to me it can either be a short in the keyboard itself causing this, maybe something was spilled on the computer, doesn't look like it though (a spill).

Or it can be a possible software problem. I don’t want to reformat (He can’t find any cds that it came with) just to have this problem resurface while trying a fresh install (I'll be worse off that I started.)

So, has anyone experienced this kind of thing before?

It's extremely frustrating, can't really do anything once the problem starts.

Iwas going to say malware until you said

<<When I restart there’s a constant beeping during post, like when you hold down an F key too long when trying to get to the bios.>>

I too would say there is a problem with the KB - by chance is it under warranty?

Happened when I took my laptop to my parents' house. That time it was due to high % moisture in the air. Problem occured in my parents' house with the airconditioning switched off (room would almost immediately smell musty and damp) - would work perfectly with the airconditioner on.

It sounds like one of 3:
1. High heat
2. High moisture
3. Keyboard screwup

Just my 2 cents.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online