1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grey box on desktop

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by lag1tup, Jun 15, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lag1tup

lag1tup Thread Starter

On my asus f8sp-x1 (vista premium+aero off) there is this grey box at the top left hand corner of my screen. This box is definitely not part of my wallpaper (I would know, I made it). I have changed my wallpaper and theme several times, and it still just appears there. It gets covered up by any window that is in that area of the screen. I havn't been able to discern a pattern to when it appears, but it is not there when the system starts up. This is a clean install (not the factory image) of vista, I installed most of the drivers and some other programs. It has been there from the beginning of this install, however.
    At the moment I have desktop icons disabled.
    Thanks for the help anyone!
    ~lag1tup

Attached Files:

• lol.jpg
      lol.jpg
      File size:
      46.3 KB
      Views:
  2. Broni

Broni

I may need new eye glasses, or....you're talking about this:
    [​IMG]

3. managed

managed Allan

I can't see a grey box, the top-right corner is in the screen-shot isn't it ?

It's possible the grey box won't show in a screen-shot though, can you see it in a screen-shot ?

EDIT : surely that's the the top-left corner :rolleyes:

4. lag1tup

lag1tup Thread Starter

yeah, you guys are right. Top left, not top right x.x So yeah..anyone know what to do to fix it?

5. Broni

Broni

Does it show all the time (when applications are open), or only when desktop is shown?

6. lag1tup

lag1tup Thread Starter

apps can cover it up but if an app is on the screen yet you can see the desktop in that area it is visible. It seems to act like a part of the desktop except I can't get a context menu by right clicking it and i cannot start a selection box from it.

7. Broni

Broni

If application is maximized, you shouldn't see any part of desktop. I'm asking, because I'm wondering, if it's not a bad pixel(s)

8. lag1tup

lag1tup Thread Starter

If they were DP's they wouldnt've shown up in the screenie ;) but yeah, they do get covered up when an app is maximized.

9. Broni

Broni

Pixels not necessary have to be dead. They may show not desired colors.
    Anyway, it must be something with the wallpaper, you built.

10. lag1tup

lag1tup Thread Starter

I have changed my wallpaper and theme several times, and it still just appears there.

Thanks for reading my OP, though. Attached is a screen of my wallpaper in photo gallery with the default wallpaper under that damn gray box. It is just sitting there...mocking me...:p
    ~lag1tup

Attached Files:

• lol1.jpg
      lol1.jpg
      File size:
      70.5 KB
      Views:
  11. Broni

Broni

12. davehc

davehc Trusted Advisor

I suspect that machine has an ATI graphics card?
    I had that fault some time ago but it vanished with subsequent updates to the catalyst Control
    Try this first:
    Open Msconfig and stop the catalyst (CC) from running at startup. Reboot and see if it has gone.
    If it has, and you still feel the need for the Catalyst Control, go to the ATI/AMD site and download the latest , I believe it is now on 8.5. Yu'll find them here:
    http://ati.amd.com/support/driver.html

13. lag1tup

lag1tup Thread Starter

@broni:nope, not a dead pixel. and it shouldntv shown on the screenie.
    @davehc: just turned off catalyst and it went away! woo!

14. Broni

Broni

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/721730