1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grey screen of death?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Ephyxia, Dec 24, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ephyxia

Ephyxia Thread Starter

Okay so every once in a while my computer screen turns grey and i can't see anything but i can still hear. This only happens when im doing something graphically intensive like playing a game or rendering video. I'm pretty sure its my video card (obviously) because everything else keeps working and i can run prime95 for an hour without a problem but 10 minutes of assassins creed 3 and i gray screen. The only way i can fix this is by restarting. It only started happening after I got my new case and moved everything into it so I may have forgotten to do something when swapping but ive checked many times and cant find anything. My best guess would be my graphics card overheating but that doesnt make any sense to me.

Specs
    CPU: AMD FX6100 stock
    Graphics: Sapphire Radeon 6850
    PSU: Corsiar cx500
    Hard Drives: 750 seagate barracuda and 540 gig hard drive i took out of my laptop
    Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-970A-DS3

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

While you have a corsair pw supply, it is a builder series and not a regular corsair. The builder series is the cheap or value line and is actually made by CTW. A regular corsair is mfg by seasonic; a much higher quality mfg.

Have you opened the case and checked that the video card fan is in fact working? Have you reseated your video card?

As a quick check for overheating, pull the side cover off and place a small desk type fan blowing air into the case. Now see if it has problems when playing a game.

Since you are at the very minimum for a pw supply, I would also check the voltages under a load. Do this with either easytune [free download from the gigabyte support page for your board] OR use hwmonitor [also free download]

Post your 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values while running prime95.

3. dai

dai

500w is to light for a 6850 min 80+ quality 550 preferred 650w

only hx tx or ax corsair models

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082224

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice