1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

grey video on all avi's, (divx) please help

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by punkguy103, Dec 17, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. punkguy103

punkguy103 Thread Starter

hi. i have been downloading and watching divx (.avi) movies for over a year now with no problems. i have the divx 3.11 codec and the divx 4.11 codec, as well as the newest version of media player. the other day, i got a file with no working audio. the guy i got it from said that i needed a codec that came with "powerdivx nextgen," available on divx-digest.com. i downloaded this program and installed it. not only did it not fix the audio problem, but now every single divx file shows up as a solid grey screen. the audio still works on all of them, but the video is only grey. today i figured out several new things. it only has this problem when i'm in my area of windows, not anybody else that uses the computer. also, when i turn the video on full screen, the picture is fine. i can then put the screen back on 100% and it looks fine. however, if i close it again and reopen it, the problem is back. i also figured out that it only affects divxs encoded with the 3.11 codec, not the newer 4.11 ones. i uninstalled all codecs and media player and reinstalled them, but nothing changed. please let me know what i can do, i want my videos back, and if possible, the audio on the new file. thanks in advance

2. kitmac

kitmac

Hi punkguy,

I've had the same kind of audio problem with a few divx files I've downloaded through file-sharing programs.

I think it's because most file's audio is usually encoded in mp3 format - which is fine for WMP. But it seems that some recent files have been encoded using Dolby 5.1. If you have a seperate soundcard that supports Dolby, then that should solve the problem.

But if you have an embedded soundchip on your mainboard (like me) then there's nothing you can really do about it until the chipset maker brings out drivers with Dolby support.

As regards the video problem, all I can suggest is that you run a virus and trojan check to make sure that the 'codec' you installed wasn't something else.

Plus you could try reinstalling/upgrading WMP (I think it's up to version 8 now) and reinstalling/updating your graphics card and audio drivers.

Hope this is some help - I know how frustrating it is to dl a file, then not be able to watch it.

Best Regards
    Kit

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/62122

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice