1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Greyed out MS files, & Win.ini prob

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by USCanadian, Jan 16, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. USCanadian

USCanadian Thread Starter

Almost out of the woods from a long lasting startup (or shutdown prob). Seems to have been related to bad third party mouse drivers, now using Intellimouse with vast improvement. Can finally startup after a shutdown without locking up at logo.

System Restore fell victim to this problem, or it's resolution and it fails if executed. The following files are greyed out on my system:

C/WINDOWS: SysBackup , APPLOG , INF , NetHood , msdownload.tmp , PIF , PrintHood , recent , sendto , shellnow , Templates , desktop(configfile) , HWInfo.dat , user.dat , Shellcon.new , system.dat , TTPCache
    C/ : system.sav , AutoExec , ASD.LOG , BOOTLOG , Classes.1st

Lastly in msconfig, Win.ini I was getting added lines of "Systemdefault=," under the colors folder. This now seems to have stopped adding, but I have lil' pencils in all the lines I deleted this command. Does it matter, or, can I clean it out somehow. And, if this is a copy of Win.TSH, the actual file, where is that found and should it be?

Thankyou for any response!

2. Rollin' Rog

Rollin' Rog

I'll try to answer a couple of the questions. I'm not sure what you are seeing with the greyed out files. Clearly you have a valid system.dat and user.dat because this is the registry proper and you couldn't boot without it. Applog is used by the disk defragmenter tool and you can delete it and it will be recreated as long as Taskmon is enabled in msconfig>startup. It optimizes the arrangement of files when the defragmenter runs. Sendto is the right click sendto folder in Windows. It contains shortcuts to the applications in the right click sendto menu. You could easily recreate it if necessary.

The pencil icons you see in the msconfig file are indicators of an "edit" function, if you unchecked or removed items. If you unchecked win.ini in msconfig, then a .tsh file was created which contains all the "normal" items, but it is not called at startup.

You can view and edit your win.ini file in notepad simply by going to start and running win.ini or win.tsh if that file has been created.

You might want to make a backup first.

Also concening System Restore, you may need to install this patch:

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;q290700

3. Bryan

Bryan

First Name:
    Bryan
    And the greying out of those files is perfectly normal since they are "hidden" files.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/65166

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice