1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grinding & beeping noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by RD001, Dec 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. RD001

RD001 Thread Starter

I have a Gateway PC with ME, 1.3 processor, 640 ram. Three yrs old. It will not boot up. I turn PC on, and I get to first screen, and then it bumps and grinds and whirs and chirps, and beeps. I hit F1 key and get a message that operating system cannot be found. I tried to boot from a Norton rescue disk but no good. It sounds like fan motor is on. Last week, the PC started to cut off (power) for no reason, randomly, and I would have to reboot. Has my hardrive crashed? Might it be something less severe?. Please help? Thank you. RD.

2. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

sounds like the hard drive has died or is dieing could also be ide cables they go bad from time to time. Id open the case up if your hearing noises and look for wires falling into fans and make sure all cables are tight to their cdroms and harddrives.

3. RD001

RD001 Thread Starter

I just got to reading mail. Will try your suggestion. If hardrive is gone, is there a way to recover data files?

4. SirKenin

SirKenin Banned

It definitely sounds like the drive is toast. Some people swear by freezing a drive and then quickly plugging it in to get data off it, but that only works under specific circumstances and only for a very short period of time if it actually does. The only other hope is an expensive recovery service or just let it go and start over again from scratch...

5. Bal3Wolf

Bal3Wolf

befor trying any thing might kill the drive for good id try new cables and maybe in another pc never know about pc parts some times their funny. I got a dvd-rw that wont work in friends pc he puts it in and windows disables it put it in my pc and it works fine.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/428641

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice