1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

grinding hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Lyonsden77, Feb 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lyonsden77

Lyonsden77 Thread Starter

I have an HP xt840. The hard drive grinds most of the time, even when there isn't a program running. Everything takes so long to open, Outlook, IE, Microsoft Word, etc....... I've cleaned, defragged, deleted, added RAM and everything is still so slow, very frustrating. Would replacing the hard drive help? We have a 40g hard drive now. If so, what brand, size, etc?? Can I install it myself? or should we just buy a whole new computer system?? or any other suggestions???

Thanks........ Sharon

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Grinding sound from hard drive usually means it's about to fail. Most new drives come with easy to follow instructions on how to install it. You should be able to do it yourself. If you need anything off that drive, or plan on copying that drive to the new drive, I'd hurry up ;)

3. PC INfecti0n

PC INfecti0n

Ive got 3 Maxtor HD's and i like them all. The higher the RPM'S the faster your information is read off the HD...so when purchasing.. try to get a fast RPM range...i dont think they sell slow ones anymore... but depends where your buying..my HD's are 7,200 rpm...and there a bit loud and make a noise like a dog wistle but a little quiter.. no louder than system fans.... But over all i dont mind at all... the instructions with the HD are pretty basic when installing...but the dont usualy include instructions on how to transfer all the data over from your old HD to your new HD. Once you purchase a HD connect it to your computer on a different cable then your OLD HD.. REMEMBER THAT! And usualy theres a cd rom on the other cable...so set the CDROM to SLAVE...and HD to MASTER with the JUMPER Cables (more info with installation). Put both the new HD and your CDrom on the SAME cable. After all that start up in windows..and try your best to download HDCopy at http://download.com.com/3120-20-0.html?qt=HDcopy&tg=dl-2001 with your "slow" computer..hopefully you can download it before your HD fails...hahaha... once you download it...run it..and follow the directions on how to copy everything to your new HD. If your HD fails before all that..then your going to have to reinstall your OS from scratch...but i bet youll be fine....if not...come back somehow and we will tell you what to do.... :) have fun.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/120461