1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grinding Noise coming from the CPU, or top fan.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Icedgreece, Dec 26, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Icedgreece

Icedgreece Thread Starter

Title says it all. I am not very familiar with Computers, but I know my stuff.

I have an ASUS P5Q-E Motherboard, and an Intel Q9950 processor. I also have the Antec Twelve Hundred gaming case, with a Zalman cooler on top of all that.

I smack the side of the behind the cover, and sometimes it will go away, but that's horrible for the machine. It is not the cooler, because I have tried moving it while the PC was running, and no problem. I smack the top of the fan on the top, the muffles, and comes back. It is not the Hardrive, or any External fans, because the noise is coming from the top, back right corner of the PC. I turn the speed of the fan on the top down, there is no change of sound, and there are no wires interfering with the fans.

Any help would be appreciated.

--Icedgreece.

2. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Your best bet is to open up the computer and find the source of the sound. Smacking the computer is not a good idea, you can dislodge something or cause something to short.

3. replay

replay

disconnect one fan at a time to determine which is the problem....ofcourse NOT the zalman cpu fan

4. BG-0

BG-0

"It is not the cooler, because I have tried moving it while the PC was running, and no problem." Which cooler? Zalman CPU cooler?
    Try disconnecting the top 200mm fan from the power outlet on the motherboard. Run the computer for a while to see if the noise has disappeared.
    Are you totally sure it comes from that point of the case?

5. Icedgreece

I know. Thing is, I can't find the source, because there is no space to work in it. With 2 Radeon 4870X2's, Mem. Fans, and 3 HDD's, it's hard avoiding shock.

I'll try that.

It's not connected to the Motherboard....

6. BG-0

BG-0

Whatever it is connected to... Just as replay said... Disconnect fans as long as you find the reason. If you don't... Maybe start disconnecting other things. Run with only one 4870x2, etc.
    Also, did your Zalman cooler come with the Fanmate? Tried adjusting that when the sound appears, and observed if the sound changes by adjusting it...

7. Icedgreece

No, it didn't.

Any possible way to do it?

8. BG-0

BG-0

Depends. Which model is the Zalman?

9. Icedgreece

10. BG-0

BG-0

Hmh. Troublesome. It's a model with a 4-pin connector, meaning it is PWM controlled and there doesn't seem to be any manual speed controllers for those.Could be worth a try tweaking the speed with Speedfan or such program.

11. Icedgreece

Well, turns out it was the Memory Fans. I don't need them.. for now.

Thanks for the help, but I couldn't get speedfan to change the speed of the Zalman Fan. I will need to, eventually, when I clock the Processor.

12. BG-0

BG-0

If your motherboard is even semi-decent, it should adjust the fan speed according to how hot the CPU is. If you have the PWM function in BIOS on, that is.

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/783573

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice