1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grinding noise on gateway laptop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by nfinit1, Mar 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

Hello
    I just installed on windows 2000 on a Gateway Solo 9300 laptop
    20GB HD
    128 RAM

I deleted windows 98, reformatted, and installed Windows 2000 and Office 2000
    I applied all the latest patches for IE, W2K, and Office
    After testing here at my home I had no probs
    Something happened from putting it in a laptop bag o delivering it to my friend

When she powers it up there is a grinding noise....I can hear it over the phone
    and
    I can also hear the harddrive seeking...clicking sound...which I never heard the whole time I had it
    The sound comes from the side with the CDROM and FLoppy....It might be the floppy initializing on startup?????

2. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

I forgot the grinding noise only last for 3 seconds or so and then the laptop runs fine

3. mobo

mobo

It sounds like you changed the boot order and the floppy is looking for a bootdisk to start up the pc..

4. iaavagent

iaavagent

How old is this lap top or the hdd? In the Hdd manual does it say that it auto parks the hard disk heads on shut down? This is so they don't get damaged in transport! Most newer hdd do so but some older ones may not. Just an FYI so don't get too alarmed!

5. dalearyous

dalearyous

if you got the drop warranty just throw it up in the air and send it back :D

ok yeah its prolly floppy checking for disk

6. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

Now that I do remember, It may have been still on when I unplugged it. But I never went into the bios to change the floppy sequence at all....now I am really confused.
    Does anyone have any websites or info where I can read more on what may be causing it

Laptop is around 5 years old and I guess the HD is too. It was bought at one of those IT auctions awhile back

7. Yorkshire Guy

Yorkshire Guy

I've never opened up a Gateway Laptop, but this may help:

I once had a grinding noise on boot-up of my Desktop, it stopped after a few minutes but I was still concerned.

I traced it to the cooling fan over the CPU i.e vvvvv important.

A new fan clicked into place and the noise dissapeared.

Hope this is of some use.

8. Bold_Fortune

Bold_Fortune

I was digging around and found this reg file I had saved from X-Setup. Maybe this can help. If not, I'll also post the UNDO reg file below it.

Disable Allow autostart for removeable drives (diskettes, Zip).

REGEDIT4

; This file was automatically generated by Xteq X-Setup (http://www.xteq.com)
    ;
    ; HIGHLY IMPORTANT: Before using this file be sure to read the documentation for
    ; "Record Mode". Not doing so might lead to unexpected results
    ; when using this file!
    ;
    ; The WARNINGS ISSUED below informs you if any warnings were reported. If so, the
    ; plug-in(s) has invoked functions that can not be recorded to this file. In this
    ; case, this REG file might not work as expected.
    ;
    ; WARNINGS ISSUED: No - this REG file should work without problems
    ;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:B5,00,00,00

----------------------------------------------------------------

UNDO Disable Allow Autostart for removable drives (diskettes, Zip).

REGEDIT4

; This file was automatically generated by Xteq X-Setup (http://www.xteq.com)
    ;
    ; HIGHLY IMPORTANT: Before using this file be sure to read the documentation for
    ; "Record Mode". Not doing so might lead to unexpected results
    ; when using this file!
    ;
    ; The WARNINGS ISSUED below informs you if any warnings were reported. If so, the
    ; plug-in(s) has invoked functions that can not be recorded to this file. In this
    ; case, this REG file might not work as expected.
    ;
    ; WARNINGS ISSUED: No - this REG file should work without problems
    ;

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
    "NoDriveTypeAutoRun"=hex:B1,00,00,00

9. nfinit1

nfinit1 Thread Starter

All
    I had my friend insert a floppy into the floppy drive
    It will not read a floppy drive

I will pick it up this evening
    Does anyone know what I can do as far as fixing it????

Its a floppy drive for a Gateway Solo 9300 laptop

10. iaavagent

iaavagent

Make sure it was a good floppy. Also you can scan disk a floppy drive my inserting a floppy and select drive A to scan.{You can also defrag it if floppy has anything on it} try the scan disk first then see if it will read a floppy.Use a known good floppy with a file or something on it that you don't care about.

Now as far as the grinding noise, get about a 12 inch piece of hose about the size of a cigarette or a little bigger and use it as a stethoscope. Try to determine where the noise is coming from. You might have to shut down and start up several times to see if its the cooling fan, cpu fan{if it has one} hdd,or the floppy drive.

You should be able to tell where your cooling fan and floppy are. The Hard drive and cpu fan may be a little difficult. Do you have a manual for the lap top? It might provide a diagram of the inside parts. At least you will be able to determine if its the cooling fan or floppy if you hear the grinding noise in their area?
    Post back your findings on scan and noise. Good luck!

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/208215

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice