1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

grinding noise

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by icedtea2002, Apr 24, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. icedtea2002

icedtea2002 Thread Starter

hi guys
    i have a problem everyday my computer make a grinding noise and during
    that time my computer is frozen , i cant do nothing until it stop by itself.
    does it mean i need a new hard disk or can i fix it.
    thank you in advance
    icedtea2002

2. Sponsor

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Its either a fan or hard drive. The first is the easiest and cheapest to fix. However the freeze you mention suggests the hard drive. Generally if your hard drive is making noises its best to replace it as soon as possible before it completely dies.

You may wish to open up the case and determine the source of the sound. If it is indeed the hard drive then you will need to buy a new drive and replace the old drive. You'll have a few options if you want the exisiting data off the old drive. You can try cloning the drive with the hard drive manufacturers Utiltities to the new drive, you can instlal Windows and your software on the new drive and then copy any data you need off the old drive to the new drive, or Install Windows on the new drive and forget about everything on the old drive.

4. golferbob

golferbob

never had a fan go but when my hard drive was going it sounded like a ' mr coffee pot " brewing a pot of coffee.

5. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

6. golferbob

golferbob

why don't you do a normal diskscan and see if you have a large number of bytes in bad sectors. if you do that can be a bad sign.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/355913

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice