1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grinding Sound From CPU

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ammuvava, Aug 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

Hi friends,

Last week when I turned on the computer, there was a grinding sound from inside the CPU. Suddenly I turned off
    and opened it.I thought it was coz of dust.So cleaned and again turned on,then it worked fine.Yesterday morning when I turned it on,again it made that grinding sound.I don't know whats wrong with my CPU. The hard disk,motherboard,SMPS all are new .Is there any problem with my CPU fan or HD?Today morning also I got the same problem.I turned off and removed the side panel.Then again turned on and now its working fine.I think the sound is probably from the fan.But the SMPS is new one.So I'm confused that is it power supply fan or CPU fan or will it be the HDD. Plz help me...!!

2. jazz3000

jazz3000

Interesting that everytime you open the casing and cool it down it works and yet it doesn't with the casing closed. Make sure it isn't your wiring too close to a fan or something simple like that. I haven't had the opportunity to ever hear a CPU grind, so I'm not sure what type of sound your hearing. Some sounds are normal in some computers, some are not.
    Name the computer and what you run with it so we can better help.

3. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    Hi and welcome to TSG.

My initial thought, based on what you have said, would be either a failing fan or possibly some wires that are getting close to / touch a fan.

It could be that you have some internal wires that are pushed into a slightly different position when the side is on the case, hence they make contact with one of the fans, yet when you take the side off they have room to move away from that fan. I have had this occasionally.

I would check all your internal wiring is secured well away from any fans and see how it goes from there.

4. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

Yea...My friend also said the same thing.So yesterday I tied up all the wires that touches the fan.But today morning I got the same problem and thats why I'm confused.

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    So you never get the noise with the side panel removed from the machine? If that is the case then I would possibly lean toward an ill fitting side panel which may be vibrating slightly?

If you can get it to make the noise with the panel off, It would be useful so you can physically listen close to the machine when it makes the noise, that way you should be able to identify exactly what component part is making the sound.

6. ammuvava

ammuvava Thread Starter

Today also I heard that sound.Its from the CPU fan and not occur frequently.I think its going to fail.Should I replace the fan immediately or will it harm the entire system?

7. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    If the noise is definately coming from that fan and there is nothing touching the fins I would replace it as soon as possible. It could keep going for a while or it could fail very soon, you don't want the system running if/when it fails as the CPU will overheat quickly and may cause damage.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013729

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice