Grm93

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

GRM93

Accidently while in Control Panel clicked on "Uninstall Window Components". I had a failed attempt at uninstalling Avery Labels Designer Pro and was attempting again. I could not do it thru Start/All Programs/. Avery was not shown; therefore went to Control Panel to do so. I had previously set a restore point. I cannot restore my computer to any setting...date or month. HELP!!!

What in the world did I uninstall. Can I retrieve? It makes me ill to think that I must completely clear my hard drive and reinstall XP I am doing an important project that must be completed this week-end.

I also have SP 2 on my computer.

GRM93

GRM93 said:
Accidently while in Control Panel clicked on "Uninstall Window Components". I had a failed attempt at uninstalling Avery Labels Designer Pro and was attempting again. I could not do it thru Start/All Programs/. Avery was not shown; therefore went to Control Panel to do so. I had previously set a restore point. I cannot restore my computer to any setting...date or month. HELP!!!

What in the world did I uninstall. Can I retrieve? It makes me ill to think that I must completely clear my hard drive and reinstall XP I am doing an important project that must be completed this week-end.

I also have SP 2 on my computer.

DoubleHelix

Banned
What problem do you need help with? Do you need the Avery software to work? Do you want to run System Restore? Is your computer completely unusable now?

Clicking on Add/Remove Windows Components just brings up a screen at which you can select which Windows components you want to install or uninstall. If you clicked Cancel at that screen, then no changes were made to your system. If you instead clicked on check boxes, marking some and unmarking others, there's no way for us to know what you installed or removed.

GRM93

DoubleHelix said:
What problem do you need help with? Do you need the Avery software to work? Do you want to run System Restore? Is your computer completely unusable now?

Clicking on Add/Remove Windows Components just brings up a screen at which you can select which Windows components you want to install or uninstall. If you clicked Cancel at that screen, then no changes were made to your system. If you instead clicked on check boxes, marking some and unmarking others, there's no way for us to know what you installed or removed.

GRM93

I need help to get my computer to RESTORE. It will not do this now, otherwise it appears to be o.k. EXCEPT my Resources seem to be used up. I have a DELL D434oo Dimension, 80 Harddrive, 512 Ram, 933 MHz with Windows XP and have SP2 installeWhen I went into DEFRAG my window is almost loaded and before it was only about 1/4-1/3 full.

About two months ago, I puchased and installed Counter Spy, but had to uninstall it due to my system getting extremely slow. I then called Avery Labels and they sent me a Disk to load their software. It did not work right and I had set a Restore point before iinstalling. I had to uninstall it due to some problems thru the Control panel as they did not show in my All Programs list. That was when I hit the uninstall Windows components and it did show Uninstalling occuring. I did not check any boxes for the components. I assumed it uninstalled some components.

My big problem right now is not being able to use RESTORE.

I am 76 years old and help SeniorNet here as a Coach. I need to get a large typing job for a State Organization out by this week-end, so I want to be certain I can RESTORE>

Thanks for any help you can give me!!!!!.

if you've noticed no problems, all may just fine. but try this right click my computer>properties. system restore tab, is it turned off?? is the amount of disk space slider set at minimum, seen that cause a problem once. just some quick thoughts, and is it just that you have no restore points to pick from?

oh and [tsg=welcome]welcome[/tsg]

DoubleHelix

Banned
System Restore isn't in the Add/Remove Windows Components section, so you didn't uninstall it. When you run System Restore, do you see restore points you created? What exactly happens when you try to restore to a certain point?

I'm not sure how the typing job is affected by System Restore. SR doesn't restore data that's accidentally deleted. It only affects software and settings.

If you saw an "Uninstalling" message after accidentally clicking on Add/Remove Windows Components, then you didn't click Cancel. You must have at least clicked the Next button. If you didn't check or uncheck any boxes in the dialog sequence, then you probably didn't actually uninstall anything.

GRM93

DoubleHelix said:
System Restore isn't in the Add/Remove Windows Components section, so you didn't uninstall it. When you run System Restore, do you see restore points you created? What exactly happens when you try to restore to a certain point?

I'm not sure how the typing job is affected by System Restore. SR doesn't restore data that's accidentally deleted. It only affects software and settings.

If you saw an "Uninstalling" message after accidentally clicking on Add/Remove Windows Components, then you didn't click Cancel. You must have at least clicked the Next button. If you didn't check or uncheck any boxes in the dialog sequence, then you probably didn't actually uninstall anything.

GRM93

I know it is not in the Controal Panel. I was uninstalling Avery Labels (not shown in my All Program list). I selected Add/Remove Programs, highlighted Avery Labels, selected Remove and it di not remove. I tried again and it must have removed. I accidently hit the Remove Windows components and it started to remove (no boxes came up and I did not check anything, so perhaps I did not remove anything.
All I know that my computer will not Restore to anytime prior..even to May 2005. It worked o.k. before.
I believe my computer now must be very corrupt. Don't know how to fix it without formatting harddrive and that makes me ill (with all I have in files).
I had previously installed (which I purchased) Counterspy, but had trouble. Contacted the company and uninstalled it. Immediately within 30 minutes I uninstalled Avery Labels since they were the only two installed when my Restore was fine.
Evidently, spyware has taken over my system (I had Ad-Aware SE, SpyBlaster which was working o.k. since I have had it on for over a year).

I just checked my Control paenl and saw s file listed "Takeover.exe". I promptly uninstalled it since it was never on there bvefore.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online