group policy client service failed non-domain laptop

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

slabo

Hi,
I have a laptop with all the latest updates installed. Legally licensed Windows 7 Home Premium 32bit ed. Running Avast anti virus.
Last thing I did was install a single windows update, I don't remember the update's number, but I remember the download size was less than 2Mb. I don't think the update has anything to do with this.. After successfully installing and rebooting, the laptop boots up normally and I get to the logon screen. After I enter my password I get the following error::
the group policy client service failed the logon access is denied
Most of the posts I've found online are for computers part of a domain. For independent machines, the common advice is to logon with another user, which I don't have. What I've tried so far ::

• boot to repair mode and create another user and add to users group via command prompt >> user still not showing on logon screen
  • boot to repair mode and create another user with administrator rights via command prompt >> user still not showing on logon screen
  • Boot to repair mode and scanning hard drive >> clean Repair startup 3 consecutive times >> same error message boot to safe mode >> same problem
Then I narrowed down the problem ::

boot to repair mode and run regedit. The registry key
Code:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\services\gpsvc key  data
has the value
Code:
%windir%\system32\svchost.exe -k netsvcs instead of GPSvcGroup

Reboot, and still the same error message. I get back into repair mode and check the registry again, apparently the changes haven't been applied and svchost still running with the netsvcs parameter instead of GPSvcGroup

Any idea how to solve this?

Any help appreciated,
thanks

Hello, if you were in fact able to add another user, at the logon screen you should be able to choose 'Switch user' and on the next screen choose to logon as a different user, then provide the user name and password.

slabo

Ok, so I double checked if I did indeed add a user. From recovery mode command line, when I run the command

Code:
net user username password /ADD
I don't get an error and I think the user is added. Then I run the following command to add the user to the users group, also I don't get any error.

Code:
net localgroup group_name UserLoginName /add
but when I restart the computer, i only get one user, my default username only. What???

I reboot, and go back to the command line in recovery mode, and I run the following command to find what users belong to the Users group... nothing!

Code:
net localgroup Users
But If i run the same command immediately after creating and adding a user, i get back the user i added. Still, it doesn't read my default user.

Now what's the recovery mode for if I can't do this?? Any suggestions ?

Have you tried enabling the built in Administrator account?
net user administrator /active:yes

If you are successful you should be able to logon using that account and go from there.

slabo

It seems I can't change anything related to users via recovery mode. Am I doing this right? On a linux machine, we used to mount to filesystem, cd to root of the environment you want to fix, and then chroot.

Am I missing such a step when I use recovery mode?

OK, can you explain exactly how you are accessing the Recovery mode? Step by step please. Thanks.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts