1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Group Policy Installing Applications w/ UAC

Discussion in 'Windows Server' started by Cody24, Feb 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cody24

Cody24 Thread Starter

I have a group policy to install a certain .msi file.

Did some testing, and it fails with errors on Win 7 computers with UAC turned on. When I turned UAC off, did a restart then it installs the application fine.

Looking to see what I need to do about the UAC, I don't really want to turn it all the way off on every computer.

I'm looking at the below group policy setting, to disable it.
    Any insight on this? Will this turn UAC off for every application that a user tries to install?

User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation
    This policy setting controls the behavior of application installation detection for the computer.
    The options are:
    • Enabled: (Default for home) When an application installation package is detected that requires elevation of privilege, the user is prompted to enter an administrative user name and password. If the user enters valid credentials, the operation continues with the applicable privilege.
    • Disabled: (Default for enterprise) Application installation packages are not detected and prompted for elevation. Enterprises that are running standard user desktops and use delegated installation technologies such as Group Policy Software Installation or Systems Management Server (SMS) should disable this policy setting. In this case, installer detection is unnecessary.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1090596

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice