1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Group policy on XP

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by 2tancaddis, Jan 31, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2tancaddis

2tancaddis Thread Starter

I had recently replaced an old 2000 server with a new xp server and used a cross-cable to transfer the information needed from one to the other. Once in place, all other pc's were connected to the server and they were able to access the shared drive on the server. However, today the client pc's tell me they do not have privelage to access the folder on the server. Upon looking at the event viewer, I see the following:

"Windows couldn't log the RSoP (Resultant Set of Policies) session status. An attempt to connect to WMI failed. No more RSoP logging will be done for this application of policy." Event = 1090

Please help!

2tancaddis

2. jmerokx

jmerokx

Although this seemed to work for me, the first thing I did was turn off automatic updates. When I view the event viwer I also had automatic update errors in conjunction with the WMI error.
    To turn off automatic updates, right mouse click on My Computer and goto Properties. Next click on Automatic Updates tab and uncheck (Keep my computer up to date) then click on OK.

Ionut Marin (Last update 10/5/2003):
    >From a newsgroup post, from a Microsoft Engineer: "It could be that there is a problem with WMI >on this machine. You can try recreating some of the WMI files using the steps below:
    >1 Stop the Windows Management Instrumentation service.
    >2 Go to the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
    >3. Delete all of the files that are in the %SystemRoot%\System32\Wbem\Repository folder.
    >4 Restart the computer. The files that were deleted are recreated when the computer restarts.
    >The Windows Management Instrumentation service will start automatically when you restart the >computer".

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/325291

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice