Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Group Policy

930 views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  Xsage 
#1 ·
Hello i have my server 2019 setup with active directory and group policy. I am trying to add the microsoft edge admx templates but when i create a folder named policy definitions my group policy from the local computer is set to a group policy centralized store which makes all my local templates disappear. How would i fix this? Screenshots attached.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
How are you importing the template? If you right click on the 'Default Domain Policy' GPO and click "Import Settings" then the following information applies:

When you import policy settings from a file, you can import them into a new GPO or an existing GPO. However, if you import policy settings into an existing GPO, all policy settings within it are replaced.
- https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/mi...-pack/agpm/import-a-gpo-from-a-file-agpmadmin

This means that the Default Domain Policy GPO is losing all of its existing settings when you import the Microsoft Edge templates and when rolled out to the workstation via gpupdate, they lose all of their settings. This is what I think is happening.

The correct way to deal with this is to leave the Default Domain Policy GPO in its original state and create a new GPO. Importing the settings to the new blank GPO wont overwrite any existing settings, you can then deploy both GPO's to the user/computer groups as required and both sets of policies will be present.

If for some reason you want all of the settings merged into one policy you will need to download something like Policy Analyzer from here: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=55319

This download also includes a bunch of Microsoft recommended security baselines to help you get started from a reasonably secure baseline. The software allows you to compare two group policy objects and see the differences allowing you to manually edit the Default Domain Policy to include the settings from the Microsoft Edge template. It also includes some powershell scripts to merge two policies into one so you can give this a go aswell.

Reactions: Trex142
Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.