1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grouping email addresses in Thunderbird

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by Danquigny, Sep 1, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

I'd like to have a specific group of email addresses so I can just put the name of that group in the "To" field and the email is sent to all members of that group. I see others do this, but I don't know it's done.

Using WinXP

Thanks.

2. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Open your Address Book and either click the New List button or click File>New>Mailing List.
    Type a name for the list and a Nickname if you wish.
    Add the Email addresses you want included in the list and they will add to the To: line when you send using the list name as the contact.

3. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

Sure is easy when you know how - thank you!

4. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

Yipe - I said it was solved before I tested it. Making the group of addresses worked fine, but when I put the name of the list in the "To" field, only that name appears, not the names in the group. What am I missing?

5. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're not missing anything.
    The list name automatically includes all names on the list and will send to all those addresses.
    If you want to actually see the names, open the Address Book and select the list, then click the Write button in the Address Book. Doing it that way puts each name on a separate To: line, but it is the same as just having the list name in the To: field.

While I'm thinking of it, the first time you send to a new list use the Address Book method.
    After that initial time, you can just use the Write button and type the list name from the Main window. Basically, the list needs to be "activated" before TB will recognize and use it's name from the Main window.
    I don't remember needing to do that in older versions of TB, but it works so I don't question it. :D

6. Danquigny

Danquigny Thread Starter

Using the address book method did not result in showing the names in the To field. I had to actually send an email to the group and then look in my Sent folder. The names do show that it got sent to all of them, so I guess I'm okay with that. I did ask them to let me know they got it, just to be sure.
    Thanks.

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Strange. Mine's always populated the To:, one address per line, when I use the write from the AB.
    It must be a difference in our builds or configuration, but as long as it works.
    You could add your own address to the list so you'll get a copy as a new message when it's sent if you want to double check.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1132761

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice