1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grpahics card being recognised as PCI and low performance... please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by olivercoles, Jan 28, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. olivercoles

olivercoles Thread Starter

Hello,
    I have an Asus P4PE motherboard and an Albatron GF4 Ti4200 AGP graphics card.

The problem is that all my diagnostics software etc reports that my graphics card is running in a PCI slot.

I would normaly disregard this as a program bug or somthing similar but my game performance has been way below what this card is capable of, even when overclocked to a fairly large degree.

My processor is running at stock speeds of 2.4Ghz (due to a wierd hardware clash with Win XP if I OC the system randomly restarts).

When I run 3Dmark2001 on default settings I get around 6700 3Dmarks, using Futuremarks online result browser the average score for a person with my processor and graphics card using default settings is 11095, a huge differance. Also due to the sheer amount of results compiled I know this is fairly accurate.

Anyone any ideas?

All help much appreciated.

2. dud

dud Guest

Probably an obvious question, but have you got the latest or correct drivers for the card.
    Oh...and if the board provides it, is the onboard graphics disabled?

:cool:

3. bencpht

bencpht

I had this same problem a couple weeks ago. Uninstall your videocard completely. Reinstall using the original cd that came with the card (the downloaded drivers won't do it, neither will searching for hardware). There was one device (AGP Host to PCI Bridge?) that was required and not in any downloadable drivers. Once you get that working in agp4x or 8x, go ahead and install the latest detonators.

4. olivercoles

Yep, latest and greatest drivers and onboard graphics are on.

I'm just going to try the uninstall drivers thing, i'll prost back with results later.

Thanks.

5. olivercoles

:eek: Umm... how do I uninstall the drivers fully?? :eek:

I removed them from Add/Remove programes, I did the 'Uninstall Drivers' thing in the device manager and I also tried the uninstall option from the right click menu on device manager but it STILL says that the driver provider is NVIDIA, but all the little nvidia things in display setup have gone.

Well I tried reinstalling the drivers off the OEM disk anyway but in device manager it still says that my card is in the PCI slot 7. I DONT EVEN HAVE 7 PCI SLOTS! LOL!

Where can I get this AGP to PCI bridge?

I don't see it in the 'system devices' drop down menu in 'Device manager' should I?

I had a look on the Asus motherboard driver disk but there isn't a driver for such a device.

6. dud

dud Guest

Well, depending on what you think you mean by this phrase, that might be your problem.
    Go into bios and see if you have AGP or PCI set as Inital Graphic or Video Display. Make sure it is set to AGP

7. olivercoles

By that I mean that hardware acceleration on my AGP card is set to full.

I tried both options in BIOS and it didnt work.

I have tried almost every BIOS option so I'm fairly sure its a software problem.

8. dud

dud Guest

Hi again... it's head scratching time! :confused:

First off though, when your system says the card is in pci slot 7 I think it is probably referring to the agp slot. Do you have the board with 6 pci slots?
    As to sorting your problem... do you have sound card in one of the pci slots? If so, have you tried moving it?
    Failing that, it is probably something along the lines of what you suspect ie software. Have you tried searching for an updated chipset driver (Intel 845PE according to info found) or even updating the bios?
    And failing that (!) I tiptoe quietly from the room, grey cells all used up!

9. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

Right click empty spot on desktop. Click properties/settings/advanced/adapter. Is the Albatron GF4 listed? If it is then make sure the the Refresh rate is set on Adapter Default. Also take a look under performance to make sure that the hardware acceleration is set to full.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/115790

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice