1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grpgic card upgrade---disapointment...or not???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by P_Thomas22, Feb 11, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. P_Thomas22

P_Thomas22 Thread Starter

I just got a card from a friend that is a brad new retail MSI 5700LE 256MB, i already have a PNY 57000LE 128MB in my system but the fan has quit working and i dont really want to fry it so I gladly took the free upgrade off my friend. That is until i installed it. I benchmarked my PNY before I unistalled it, then I put in the new MSI 256mb one and recieved about a a 20 point loss on 3dMark05 and about a 6fps decrease on both Doom3 and FarCry. Looking further into it I notice that the mem speed on the PNY is 100mhz faster at 500mhz. But sure this wouldn't make the increase on a 128mb compared to a 256mb board. Not sure what i could be doing wrong as I have done everything I know how and should do. If a 256mb 400mhz card is that much slower than a 128mb 500mhz then i just dont get it....please help.

Thanks (y)

2. Shappy

Shappy

You can always buy a new gpu fan they arent expensive and compare the two, personally i dont know much about anything besides the "name brand" videocards. 20pts on a 3dmark though isnt, much you can change that just by shutting down a behind the scenes operation, or anything on your comp. the real question seems to be whats better more ram, or faster gpu? Id say check out Tom's Hardware, they give great reviews of video cards

3. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

The 256 meg can slow you down "when it isn't needed". When it is needed ie Doom 3, the 256 runs better. 3Dmark is just a benching tool. It can give you an idea of what to expect in day to day use but it is far from perfect.

I'd love to have the money people have spent blowing cards trying to get a better 3Dmark score. I'd rather have the 256 megabytes of memory on pretty much identical cards. Buy a cooler for your PNY, use them both and sell the one you decide is the lesser card. Newegg sells VGA coolers everyday.

4. P_Thomas22

i was going to get a new fan but this card came along for free so i figured why not use it. So what I'm confused on is if doom 3 and farcry are getting a better frame rate with the lower ram card whats the point of having a higher ram. I know the 3dmark is just benchmarking but i was just hoping to see an improvement on the card with more ram. I was allways under the impression that the more ram the better, not more mhz.

5. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

Faster ram. Try downloading coolbits or rivatuner and see if you can speed the ram up a bit. Are the chips the same? Do they have the same numbers on them?

If so, one maker just clocked the chips slower in the video bios. You can bring it up to speed I figure. Don't go crazy just to the speed the other card, the PNY run at.
    Don't blow the card. Doom 3 ( what a rip off ) should run better on a 256 card.

6. CarlssonMB

CarlssonMB

RivaTuner should help you get the 256mb Ram speed up to par with the 128 easily. Just make sure not to overdo it

7. P_Thomas22

Thanks for the tips, I'll let you know my progress.

8. P_Thomas22

I used coolbits and just did the optimize setting and it set them 308 clock and 519 mem clock. Should i push harder than that and if i do how do i know when it is becoming unstable, should i go in increments of about 5? This did help my performance by a little but i want to get the maxium out of my card. Thanks.

9. Conrad747

Conrad747

keep in mind you can always give me, and will gladly take it, your MSI if it really falls short on your benchmarks. lol.

10. P_Thomas22

nope sorry conrad, tweaked it and showing large gains from it now. Going to save the PNY for a media center i'm building. Its nice having friends to give you free graphic cards. hehehehe

11. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

See what we have done? Created a monster. If you push too hard you will kill your card. I mean I think we were working to get the MSI card up to speed with the PNY correct?

If you are really going to do this, bump up in 5 mhz increments and run 3dMark03 after each bump. As soon as you see artifacts back off about 15 mhz. Do that with both the core and memory. Run both at least 15 mhz under the max you can push the card to, 20 mhz is better.

When you OC anything you cause more heat and too much heat is a killer.

Keep a very close eye on your card in games. Any sparkles or polygons that aren't supposed to be there are warning signs that you should back off the OC. Don't kill your card please. If you do, don't blame me.;)

12. P_Thomas22

yeah i guess you have created a monster!!!! No the max was super high that i could of got out of it which i didn't feel safe using so i backed it way down to a very conservative setting. I'm happy with the results and the reliability. Now on to the proccesor!!!!! Waaahhhhhaaaaahahah (my best dr. evil laugh).....just joking. Leaving that just the way it is. Thanks for your help guys. (y)

13. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

LOL, Not a problem. Always happy to help.;)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/329506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice