1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

grrrrr Still High CPU temps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by x_saosin_x, Jul 29, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. x_saosin_x

x_saosin_x Thread Starter

I bought a new computer, well parts because my old computer was always overheating, and i couldnt do anything without it swithching off.

and now i bought a new computer my temperatures are 49oC on the cpu wich is still quite high.

my new spec is...

MSI K8N Sli - Fi

AMD 64 3700+

Nvidia Geforce 6600 GT 256mb

Cool Master pure power 550watt psu

corsair 1gb XMS ram.

i bought it hoping it wouldnt get so hot.

my old spec was

winfast cheapo motherboard.

amd 64 3000+

gforce fx 5500 256mb

value ram

and that was up around 50-60-70 oC and shut off at 70oC.

what is the temp supposed to be at, and how could i solve it?

2. squidboy

squidboy

49C is not bad...maybe a tad high for an AMD chip under load. My case runs around 52C (intel chip), and is packed with stuff. In fact I should up the cooling at some point but I never have a problem currently.

Are you having some PC issue that you feel may be heat related?

3. x_saosin_x

it only has windows just installed, so its not under any load.

my old pc kept shutting off because it was getting too hot, even that was at 30oC to start and then rose to 70oC.

but my new once, as soon as you turn it on its at 50oC and i feel its too hot for a brand new pc :(

4. squidboy

squidboy

Ok, where are you getting these temps from? The temp from the CPU, the case, your hard drives, etc will all report varying values based on whatever tool you use. I use speedfan.

You may have insufficient case cooling, which will raise the temp of most other components. That might not mean your CPU is to blame.

5. x_saosin_x

even when i only had the bare mininum e.g. Motherboard, cpu/fan, gfx card, power supply, ram, it was reaching 50oC in the bios pc health cpu temp.

and when i plug rest in and im in windows, i use MSI core centre

as for case fans, i have 4 fans, 2x 120 cm 2x 90cm.

6. win2kpro

win2kpro

How are the case fans arranged? Are the 92mm fans intake and the 120mm exhaust? Have you checked to make sure the intake fans are PULLING air into the case and the exhaust fans are PUSHING air from the case?

Is the tower "free standing" with clearance on all sides or is it located in any type of box enclosure?

7. Eddey

Eddey

I'd say either your case is very thermall disadvantaged, and so isn't gettin the hot air out raising teh amibient temp inside your case meaning your hs fan is blowing warm air onto the CPU... Which isn't exactly ideal for cooling.

Either that or your hs/f sin't on properly, because that's a pretty high temp for a decent AMD chip.

Have you tried re-seating the heatsink?

-Eddey

EDIT-

Those four case fans might be doing more harm than good, they might just be whirrling the air around the case rather than creating a smooth flow. Try the computer wtih one intake and on exhaust, or one intake and two exhaust and see what happens.

8. Rich-M

Rich-M

I wouldn't judge it until you get set up and have a full load on it. I was concerned with an Intel
    D chip running at 60c but when I loaded it fully and put it through it's paces it made no difference. Running an Athlon 3700 at 49c isn't a problem and while it sounds a little high I wonder if you used the thermal pad on heat synch or removed it and used Arctic Silver which I think will lower it.

9. x_saosin_x

hey guys.

here is my case spec and diagrams of fans.

http://www.thermaltake.com/product/Chassis/fulltower/armor/va8000bws.asp

the case is located on top of my desk and about 10" from the back wall.

iv just been playing HL2 on high setting for about 2-3 hours and the temperature hasnt budged from 50oC.

looking at the intake fan i have 3hdd's behind it, so that carnt be doin any good, ill relocate them and see if that makes any difference.

cheers

10. x_saosin_x

oh and iv just ordered some Arctic Silver 5 3.5g Tube Thermal Paste off ebay.

should i also buy a liquid colling system?

11. squidboy

squidboy

If you're playing HL2 for hours and hit 50C, I don't really see a problem there ;).

Liquid cooling systems, when installed properly, make a significant difference over fans.

Arctic Silver will lower your CPU maybe 1 degree C versus the factory pad. This has been tested. But use it if you desire the best in cooling.

12. win2kpro

win2kpro

The case design looks really good. I especially like the "blowhole" since that it is a very efficient method of removing heat. If you have 3 HDD's in back of the 120mm front intake fan then I believe this is raising your inlet temperature and also causing airflow turbulence. If you can relocate these drives you should see improved efficiency. I would try that modification before changing the TIM to AS5 TIC.

I believe with a little bit of airflow "tweaking" you can be down to a very acceptable temperature range, but liquid cooling could always be an option if you can't lower the temperatures to a range that is acceptable to you.

13. win2kpro

win2kpro

One thing I did neglect to mention is the fact that manufacturer displays the noise level of the fans but I did not see (maybe I missed it) the fans airflow volume. Using ram air, the intake volume should be at least equal to the exhaust volume for the most efficient cooling.

After you relocate the hard drives it may be necessary to "tweak" the 120mm intake fan to increase the intake airflow volume. Before I did anything with the intake fan, I would see what affect the hard drive relocation has on the temperatures.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/487613

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice