1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GRRRRRR Random Discussion

Discussion in 'Random Discussion' started by MsPCGenius, Oct 20, 2003.

Advertisement
  1. MsPCGenius

MsPCGenius Thread Starter

stepping up on soap box

Why I don't like Random Discussions/Civilized Debates on a Technical Site: :rolleyes:

I posted a technical question. Within 15 minutes, it got pushed to the bottom of the New Search page and will, presumably be sitting on page 2 before long because 7-10 non-technical posts have been posted ahead of it.....

If most people are like me, they only give page one of the New Search page a gander and don't bother to dig into the under layers.

I'll be lucky if anyone sees the question I posed.....

stepping down ;)

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

3. gws226

gws226

Ummm... Random/Civilized threads aren't intended to be technical support threads.... I believe if you post in the in the catergory that best describes your issue... someone will jump on it.

If you every do fall to the second page... 'bump' your yourself back up to the first... by replying to yourself.

Good luck
    G

4. MsPCGenius

Yes, that response came quickly -- but my post is still buried deep now, and I hate to be the one to have to bump it....
    The post in question was posted in a technical area... this one (my commentary) was posted in Random... :)

5. oldie

oldie

It is a forum - it does have a large membership - and it would appear that it does a GRAND job at the end of the day - pleasing I would imagine the vast majority of it's members - but to please all it's members all the time is demanding a lot - maybe a little patience ???

Oldie

6. gws226

gws226

Sorry I guess I misunderstood you....

Out of courisity.... why don't you like Random Discussion/Civilized debate and what did that have to do with you getting pushed to the second page?

7. oldie

oldie

MsPCGenius - another salient point regarding Random Discussion that may be worth noting is the views / replies statistics - eg - "Fun Game" = views = 182 000 / replies = 56 000 :)

Bet the all important Sponsors don't mind [​IMG]

Just a thought - Oldie

8. MsPCGenius

I have no problem with the fact that people want to have the discussions. What is frustrating, however, is that the technical posts get "pushed" down the Search page and eventually "lost in the sauce", sometimes without ever being responded to.....

When I access the site, I do it via the Search method (which shows me the newest to oldest posts for the day). I imagine lots of people take the same steps.... in this manner, you quickly lose site of posts as they are "stepped on" by the Randoms that are frequently pushed to the top of the heap....

Maybe the Randoms could be filtered out of the Search method? :)

9. oldie

oldie

Good point there my friend re filtering Random out of Search - as you say - a popular discussion thread will constantly be up at the top of new posts - so yes indeed point taken - lets hope the Tech guys themselves read your thread

Regards - Oldie

10. LANMaster

LANMaster Banned

I was searching for a random thead recently, and it was lost in a sauce of tech stuff. :eek:

There ought to be a default selection for technical or random in the search.

And I agree the default should be tech.

I don't know if it is possible, but it does sound sensible.

11. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

Hi MsPc: When you post a thread....go to the bottom of the page and click on "Subscribe to thread". That way you can avoid search altogether and go to your user panel and view only your subscribed threads thus finding out instantly if there are responses and finding the thread quickly! :) Take care. angel

12. Mulderator

Mulderator

MsPCGenius,

Just see Mulder and I will see to it you you get what your looking for!

:D :D

13. angelize56

angelize56 Always remembered in our hearts

But Mulder she has to join the fan club first! :D

14. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Mulder's so worked up he's he's stuttering..stuttering...

15. Mulderator

Mulderator

Well, that MsPCGenius is a good looking yound lady--enough to make any of us stutter! ;)

Hopefully the "PC" means Personal Computer and not "Politically Correct" ;)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173295

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice