1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GRUB error 15

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by ianerick, Apr 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ianerick

ianerick Thread Starter

I recently tried dual booting ubuntu with windows 7, and when restarting i got Error 15: file not found.
    i have tried simply reinstalling using my dell re-installation disk, but it seems to not work for some reason. so now i've booted into a live cd and at first, i just thought it was because the ubuntu installed had gone wrong or something, so i reformatted the ubuntu partition, which obviously did not work. if there is any solution besides formatting and reinstalling everything, please let me know. if you need any more information, please ask

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Does "re-installation disk" mean a Windows 7 installation DVD? Or a Recovery DVD? And can you be more specific than "seems to not work"? Could you boot to it? Etc.?

Did you or did you not format the Ubuntu partition again? What does "did not work" mean?

3. ianerick

ianerick Thread Starter

sorry, i see how that was unclear.
    it was an XP media center install disk. i could not boot into it.
    i formatted the ubuntu partition, which did not fix the problem.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Thanks, that helps. Sounds like the Windows 7 installation should still be OK. You can try, in either order, ...

Install Ubuntu again into the newly formatted partition and hope that this time Grub will fix up the dual boot.

Use your Windows 7 installation DVD to fix the Windows boot.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/914701

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice