1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grub Error No Such device

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by singledadinia, Jan 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. singledadinia

singledadinia Thread Starter

Guys if you could help me out with this I would greatly appreciate it!

A while back I installed ubuntu on a 2nd hard drive of my xp machine. I decided to remove ubuntu so I went into Disk Manger in Windows and deleted the partition and reformatted the 2nd drive so I could use it as additional storage. All well, machine was running fine but when i rebooted i got the following error ...
    error: no such device: fba6ac29-b27a-41e2-90b4-1884764d8ebd. grub rescue>

I can access my bios but the machine will not boot. I unplugged the 2nd hard drive completely and got the same error. I have been trying to find the solution but the answers seem to be all over the place. I do not understand why this is effecting my primary drive when I didnt have ubuntu on it ever.

I have the op system cd and the compaq restore plus cd but U do NOT want to reformat my primary drive as I have everything on it.

Whenever I get stuck you guys always come through, so I am hoping you can again.

Thanks!

2. Saga Lout

Saga Lout

I suggest that you run Ubuntu again as a Live CD then search the hard disk for the file menu.lst and edit or delete it. Editing is probably better - just set MS as the default auto login - deleting might upset things even more.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!