1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Grub Loader isnt seeing windows ( duel boot )

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by Yobo, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Yobo

Yobo Thread Starter

Hello, i am new to the Ubuntu OS and haveing a few problems. I was told by many people that Ubuntu would work better on my netbook, 1gb ram single processor running XP, so i gave it a shot and went with the Duel Boot option because i still liked windows and wasnt ready to give it up. It auto installed everything just fine and i could use both OS'es for about a week. Then whenever i went to start my computer it would load until the point were it noramly stoped to open Grub to pick what OS i wanted to run on, however now it just skipps the Grub screen , says it is booting into [ insert long list of numbers and letters here] i cant remember the numbers but if they are important i can get them. And is like it just doesnt even see Windows XP at all, i tryed to reinstall ubuntu to fix it but nothing worked, and because it is a netbook i do not have a XP disk to reformat. I have tryed everything i have though of and what my friends have suggested with no results. Any Ideas on what to do?

2. vtel57

vtel57

What version of Ubuntu are you running?

3. saikee

saikee

I think it is just a matter of disabling the "savedefault" statement, by placing a "#" in front of it, in either /boot/grub/menu.lst" or /boot/grub/grub.cfg". You need to be in root terminal with command
    Code:
    sudo su
    nano /boot/grub/menu.lst
    The Xp is still there and you can access it via Ubuntu. It is perfectly safe and will not get damaged until you nuke it yourself!

4. vtel57

vtel57

That's part of the reason I was asking for version... to know what GRUB was being used; legacy or 2. If 2, no menu.lst.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920962

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice