GRUB removal/ linux removal on dual boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

derekn

Hi, have win98 on this machine. was running dual boot with 2 hard drives, win 98/linux fedora core. I tried to remove linux, had horrible time. So, i used FDISK in windows to delete the partitions on the disk containing linux. Well, now the GRUB loader comes up and says "Grub loading stage 2..." and then reboots the machine again. windows will not boot. Linux is gone. How can i fix this so that I can boot windows?

Hope this isn't too hi tech.

Thanx

derekn

derekn,

Your "too hi tech" question is rather confused. Are you saying the GRUB screen [for dual booting] still comes up even though Fedora has been removed ???

If you want to remove the GRUB screen, run - FDisk /MBR

This will restore your master boot record.

derekn

Hi Old Bob. I didn't mean "too hi tech" in a condescending way. Sorry if misunderstood. :)

The problem is I can't boot into DOS, Linux (cause it's not there anymore) or Windows. The GRUB keeps coming up and since there is no choices it just reboots the machine for some reason. Could I edit the MBR from another computer if i move that HD temporarily?

derekn,

If you run - Fdisk /MBR

You "should" boot up directly into Win98.

derekn

i don't think you fully understand. I can NOT boot into any OS. This includes DOS.

derekn

ok, i will try the boot disk. by running the FDISK /MBR that won't reformat my master HD will it?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online