1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gt701-wg wont connect to internet laptop win98se

Discussion in 'Networking' started by sho1off, Aug 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

wireless card works at a super 8 hotel with free wireless internet
    but will not connect to the internet on a qwest Action tec dsl wireless modem gt701-wg although it recognizes it and recieves I cant connect to the internet. netbuii is installed and is set to default service.required for win98se im running win98 se Help been working on this for hours and cant seem to get anything to work. good link quality and signal strength have wep enabled 64 bit and key with pass phrase
    modem works on a desktop running win xp using the network card
    would upgrading to win 2000 help or any sugestions the card works just not with Qwest dsl modem

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Is your wireless card 'b' or 'g.' I'm guessing that it is 'b' (which is probably what the network at the Super 8 Motel is). If my guess is correct, make sure your router is set for 'b' or "'g' and 'b' both."

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Other thing is to try w/o encryption until you get success.

And then when you enable WEP use hex key because different manufacturers sometimes translate passcodes into keys differently.

4. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

will try both tomorrow
    Thanks

5. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

disabled wep and changed to wireless b only nothing changed still will not connect to internet. Dont know what else to try. Do you know anybody who is using wireless on this modem what OS are they using Do I have to set up a network

6. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Have you tried connecting another wireless machine to that router? It would be nice to eliminate it as a source of the problem.

7. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

no we don't have one available

8. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

i could probably buy a linksys card at walmart and install it in my laptop and see if that works. would still be running win98 se

9. JohnWill

Don't you have a friend with a wireless laptop? Buy him dinner. ;)

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    On the router you've checked to make sure that the Dhcp Server is enabled and has an Address Range and subnet mask sufficient for connecting multiple computers? I've seen an occasional router have a mask of 255.255.255.252, which allows only one computer.

And you are not using MAC Address filtering?

For dinner I'll be your friend and bring my wireless laptop. :) Eh, maybe a mileage allowance too, depending where you are!

11. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

I bought a linksys card and it connects Qwest action tec modem and to the internet with no problems except it doesn't have much range
    mask is 255.255.255.0

Zcomax LONG DISTANCE WIRELESS CARD: 802.11b
    EXTREMELY HIGH POWER (300mw) CARD is the card that I cant get to work

tech spec for card
    Chipset PRISM 2.5 chipset
    Memory Size 128Kx16 SRAM 128Kx8 flash ROM
    Compatibility 802.11b: Interoperable with WiFi (WECA) certified equipment. Interoperates with 802.11g at 802.11b speed (11Mbps)
    Host Interface 16-bit PCMCIA V2.1 I/O interface type II, 5V key
    Data Rate 11, 5.5, 2, and 1 Mbps per channel, auto-select
    Power Consumption TX power consumption: <350mA RX power consumption: <280mA
    Voltage 5 VDC + - 5%
    LED Link status, power
    Network Architecture Types ad-hoc, infrastructure, roaming (standard 802.11b compliant)
    RF Output 24.7 dBm (maximum)
    Channels All 14 channels
    Sensitivity @PER<8%: 11 Mbps: -83 dBm(max.); 5.5 Mbps: -88 dBm(max.); 2 Mbps: -89 dBm(max.); 1 Mbps: -92 dBm(max.)
    Modulation CCK (11 Mbps, 5.5 Mbps), DQPSK (2 Mbps), DBPSK (1 Mbps)
    Security WEP 64 & 128 bit

12. JohnWill

I wouldn't hold out much hope that the "long range" card will do significantly better, even if you get it working. ;)

13. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

It does work. have connected to a Super 8 motel wireless internet system when I was on vacation

it just wont connect to the internet on a qwest Action tec dsl wireless modem gt701-wg

14. JohnWill

That's somewhat odd...

15. sho1off

sho1off Thread Starter

I think so to. especially since we took all security off. would upgrading to win 2000 help?
    why do you not hold hope in Long range card? just this one or any one. I went with it because linksys only get about 20 feet if Im outside

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489775

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice