1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

GTA San Andreas on Vista

Discussion in 'Games' started by JPLamb, Jun 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

I have just got a brand new copy of GTA SA and i have installed it in my laptop that runs vista Basic, the laptop has more than the required specifications.

the game installed fine with no problems but i am not able to play it. when i press start a new game if freezes, i have left it at this stage for half an hour last night and nothing happened, when i go to the task manager it says that GTA has stopped responding. this also happens when i try and load a game, i downloaded a save so that i could see if the game would load that way but it doesent.

the game ran fine on my xp machine from the same disk so i know that the disk is good.

is there a patch that i need to run it on Vista??

Thanks in advance.

2. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

2 things:

Laptops are not designed for playing games, especially games graphically intensive as GTA: SA.

Since the game came out before Vista, you can try to use the Windows XP Compatibility Mode.

What laptop do you have?

3. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

i understand that laptops are not designed to play games btu my last machine did and this one is higher spec so i guessed that it would play it, my laptop it a Toshiba Satellite L30 -10Y

how do i get to the XP Compatibility Mode?

cheers

4. ACA529

ACA529

That's not necessarily true. Laptops, like the Dell XPS's work fine for playing games.

My friend owns an Acer 5672WLMi and it works fine for playing high-end games. It even runs them better than my Desktop. He can play high-end games like Battlefield 2 running on high settings... so that's not exactly true.

It completely depends on which laptop. ;)

5. Super-D-38

Super-D-38

Never messed with Vista but if it's like XP just right click the SA.exe and see if there is a compatibility option.

Some say it works just fine, others have random problems.. who knows really, just gota poke around and see what works. :D

6. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

Right click on the game .exe file (or the shortcut in the Start Menu or desktop if it's there) > Properties > Compatibility Tab. Check the box to Run Program As and the drop down menu should already be on Windows XP SP2.

Generally the notebooks are not suitable for gaming because of the video card, though I have seen one or two with decent cards that can do the job... though battery life is not that good ;)

7. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

Hi, sorry i have take time to get back to you,

i have tried the XP Compatibility Mode and this has not helped it still freezes in exactly the same place. i will have a play around and try to get it working but any other sergestions would be great,

cheers.

8. Couriant

Couriant Trusted Advisor

OK, I found the specificatioons, and although your machine may have the required hardware, the problem you have is that the video is not independent from the memory. From what I can can tell, you have 512MB of memory. Up to 256MB of that memory will be used up for the video card. Vista itself is a memory intensive OS, so I would think that you will have a lot of issues with it.

9. JPLamb

JPLamb Thread Starter

ah right, cheers for that, i never thought about the video memory.

thanks everyone that has helped.

10. xxVIPERxx

xxVIPERxx

hey i read the above and i have a machine that runs cysis on high settings so gta should be no problem but its freezing and saying not responding just as before i had it working for like 20 min but when i paused the game to view map it froze their any advice is their a patch plz help if anyone uses this thread anymore ?

thanks

11. chazzman

chazzman

i was installing it and it crashed about 3/4s of the way through say it was a missing cutscene is there anyway to fix this?

12. jackdw

jackdw

Re-install the game.

JP: If it was a RAM problem, I think the game should still load.. GTA:SA, in terms of todays computers, is not an intensive game so a laptop should run it well. Do you have any problems with any other games?

13. chazzman

chazzman

no it might just be that my cd is scratched cause i bought it 2nd hand

14. iwassnow

iwassnow

If it's a matter of not enough RAM because Vista is consuming it all, see if vista lets you turn off the 3d menus like XP does. In the XP performance options in Computer Properties, there's an adjust for best performance. It makes it look like win98, but if it plays your games, it may be worth a try.

15. janis1

janis1

When i play San Andreas my screen turns off adn then i have to reboot my computer!

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/589610