1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

gtx 1080 with low fps

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by j3suss, Jan 19, 2019.

Advertisement
  1. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

specs:
    motherboard:b150m-c
    cpu: i5 6600
    ram: 8gb ddr4 one stick
    gpu: gtx 1080 mini

so the problem is that I just can't get high fps for example on fortnite I'm getting between 70-120 fps and in rainbow six siege I'm getting 23-58 fps on highest settings I'm frustrated and I really need help

ty for helping:)

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Clipboard.jpg

I'm not a hardware/gaming expert, but it's my guess the full potential of the NVIDIA graphic card is being handicapped by the Intel processor.

There is also only 8 GB(8 GB X 1) of RAM in your computer.
    You should consider increasing it to 16 GB(8 GB X 2).

-----------------------------------------------------------------

3. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

you are probably correct but my friend who has the same GPU has i5 6600k and every thing works fine so I should at least get a bit more fps

4. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I agree, your processor is not the greatest for gaming. In addition, you have a low end motherboard. Asus makes some fine high end boards however that one is one of their "budget" micro boards. Budget is used as a euphemism for cheap. There is a LOT more to a gaming system than simply installing a video card. A gaming system should have a high end motherboard with heavy duty pw regulation, heavy duty capacitors, steel pci slots for large video cards, extra chipset cooling. All of these items are non-existent on a low end board.

As Frank pointed out, you have a single 8gig ram chip. A better way to go would be to have two matched 8gig chips for a total of 16gig.

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

I assume you have tested your temps and voltages under a stress test. If not, you should do so. I use either prime95 or OCCT [both free downloads] to stress test a system. Asus should have monitoring software available on the support page for that board. Use that to monitor temps/voltages; let the stress test run for at least 2min to get a stabilized reading. Post the following here; cpu temp, 12V, 5V, and 3.3V values.

6. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

CPU temp: 33-55
    12v: spiked between 11.99-12.12
    5v: stable 5.08
    3.3: 3.31-3.33 and for a minute it stayed at 3.31 and then spiked again to 3.33

7. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

OK, cpu temp should be stable while running prime95 for at least 2min. Voltages should also be stable while running prime95. Were those reading taken while running the stress test?

8. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

One other item. What monitoring program are you using? I checked on the support page for your motherboard and it seems asus does not post monitoring software for that board.

9. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

yes

10. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

after the software finished the stress test it opened a file with these readings

11. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your temps are fine. If you have a low end pw supply, you can try replacing it with a quality unit ie seasonic or high end corsair. Note corsair makes both quality units and junk units. The only corsair pw supplies up to running something like a 1080 are the AX, HX or RM models.

Other than that, your cpu, motherboard and only 8gig of ram are holding you back from getting good performance from your video card.

12. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

ok can you tell me what do i need to upgrade in order of the first and last thing

13. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

First what exact pw supply do you have installed? Do not post "500W" Post the exact brand and model# If you do not know, there is a label on the pw supply. Open the case and look.

14. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Here is an example of the pw supply label.

Attached Files:

15. j3suss

j3suss Thread Starter

and is there anything i can do at the moment that can boost the performance even a little bit?

Attached Files:

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Tags:

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1222096

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice