1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Gtx 470 help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Trick_JUnkies, Nov 7, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Trick_JUnkies

Trick_JUnkies Thread Starter

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
    Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600
    Other OS Description Not Available
    OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
    System Name MARTIN-PC
    System Manufacturer System manufacturer
    System Model System Product Name
    System Type X86-based PC
    Processor Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz, 2403 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
    BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. 0215, 10/15/2009
    SMBIOS Version 2.5
    Windows Directory C:\Windows
    System Directory C:\Windows\system32
    Boot Device \Device\HarddiskVolume1
    Locale United States
    Hardware Abstraction Layer Version = "6.1.7600.16385"
    Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 4.00 GB
    Total Physical Memory 3.50 GB
    Available Physical Memory 2.12 GB
    Total Virtual Memory 7.00 GB
    Available Virtual Memory 5.00 GB
    Page File Space 3.50 GB
    Page File C:\pagefile.sys

I recently purchased GeForce GTX 470 graphic card so that i can play BattleField 3. My graphic would be slow for both multiplayer, campaign, etc... My internet is not that slow and i could play every other g games with my gtx. The only problem is when i play battlefield 3. Could this have been because of my cheap asus p5g41-M-lx2 series motherboard or my 4gb ram ?

2. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    What power supply do you have and what is it's wattage. Have you removed your old graphic card drivers and installed the new ones?

3. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Definitely post the power supply info.

BF3 has some issues, make sure you have the latest game patch AND the latest graphics card drivers.

Here's the latest driver from the nVidia site: http://www.geforce.com/Drivers/Results/38916

4. Trick_JUnkies

I'm using a 750wat coolmaster power supply and i already installed the newest driver for Gtx since it is requires. I have not delete my old driver for the old graphic card. What i did was installed the gtx driver on top of my old graphic driver. I can play any weaker graphic game with a medium setting but it gets laggy when i put some of them on high, which is not expected for a graphic card like gtx 470, so i believe that the problems lied with my hardware?

5. flyer0101

flyer0101

First Name:
    Dylan
    what i'd recommend you do is install all grahpics card drivers the ones for your new card and the old card aswell. Then reinstall the new drivers for your new card. Coolermaster PSU arent the best either. Try the drivers first if that doesnt work, we'll look at the PSU.

6. Trick_JUnkies

Do you mean uninstalling both drivers then install the one i need ?

7. Mark1956

Mark1956

Follow this routine below which will help to remove any old graphics drivers in the system, sometimes they can cause conflicts and this is the best way to find them. Then we can look for other causes.

•Download the latest graphics driver from the Nvidia site for your card and version of windows and save it to the desktop.
    •Go into Device Manager and locate the graphics card under Display Adapters, right click on it and select Uninstall.
    •Run through this routine and locate any/all graphics drivers and delete them. Do not reboot, just close all the boxes to get back to the desktop.
    •Double click on the driver that you saved to your desktop to install it.
    •Now reboot and check the PC's performance.
    With the power disconnected, remove the graphics card and clean the contacts with a soft pencil eraser and blow out the slot on the motherboard and the cards fan/heatsink with a can of compressed air (available from any computer store).

8. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Most drivers require proper uninstalling through Programs & Features in the Control Panel, not just Device Manager.

9. Mark1956

Mark1956

Not sure what you mean, I don't see, or ever have seen, a driver listed in the programs list, just programs. I've given guidance on uninstalling many drivers and never had to use Uninstall in Programs & Features :confused:.

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you check any ATI/AMD or NVidia driver they will have entries in "Programs & Features" or "Add & Remove Programs". This is also common with most sound cards, network cards, etc.

See the attachment for one of my laptops:

Attached Files:

11. Mark1956

Mark1956

Thanks for that information Triple6, we live and learn, first time I have ever come across that. So if, for example, a Nvidia graphics driver is uninstalled in Device Manager would it still exist in Programs & Features and not be fully uninstalled?

Trick_Junkies, this being the case please also check for the drivers in Programs & Features and uninstall any you find that relate to the graphics card before installing the new one.

12. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    What was your previous graphics card, was it another NVidia card? If yes, then uninstalling the old drivers shouldn't be necessary, if your old card wasn't NVidia though, then I would definately go through the clean out process.

As a side note and quite possibly not associated with the problem (although could contribute to it), you don't have Windows 7 SP1 installed (released about 9 months ago) which means you are missing a good number of patches, fixes, updates and security improvements for various aspects of Windows.

13. Trick_JUnkies

My previous card was also nvdia; geforce 9500. I did what you posted and I still have the same problem. I had also asked my cousin, my go to guy for computer problem, to see whether he can fix it, and he gave me the same suggestion, but it was also a dead end. The notion that the graphic is the problem, but i refused to believe it after all i did wasted my money on this one. Can you give me your opinion?

14. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    Some drivers do launch their full uninstaller when uninstalled from Device Manager, newer nVidia drivers seem too, but those are the only ones I've seen that do. With the nVidia drivers I found that even if you uninstall it, it leaves settings behind, there's an option in the new drivers during installation that allows you to do a Clean Install which I've had fix an issue before where just uninstalling and reinstalling the driver did not.

15. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    If you haven't already, when you go to install the nVidia drivers choose Custom and it will give you an option to do a Clean Install.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1025794

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice