Solved GTX 970 incompatible, new build my pc

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

ItsBryan123

Hey guys, i really need help here :(

I bought my self a new STRIX GTX 970 OC for my rig.

At that time it was
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12251 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, 1024 Mb
Motherboard: Acer, Predator G3610
PSU: 500w noname

I plugged it in and the computer would stop at the flashing underscore right after the acer logo with 3 beeps with ca. 30 secs. inbetween them.

So I got a lot of suggestions that it would be my powersupply, I went ahead and bought myself a new one.
A beqiuet pure power 630W

Problem still remained.

I've heard people say that it could be the mainboard. So i am looking for a new mainboard.
i tried to find a mainboard that can use my i7 3770 CPU but i am also considering a whole new Mobo and CPU.

If someone could suggest me a good motherboard for the i7 3770 that would be awesome,

but since i am thinking of getting my self a totally new rig as well. i wanted to know how this sounds to someone who knows more about these kind of things

CPU i7 6700

Mainboard ASUS Maximus VIII Hero
RAM Corsair DDR4 Vengeance 16GB Kit
(2x 8GB, CL13-15-15-28, 1.2V 288Pin)

GPU STRIX 970 OC
PSU bequiet pure power 630W
Case Corsair Midi Tower 450D

Would a set up like this be good for gaming or am i missing something? and how about the compatibility of those components?

My main focus would be gaming and maybe TS in the background, nothing else..

My rig that i use right now
Tech Support Guy System Info Utility version 1.0.0.2
OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770 CPU @ 3.40GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 58 Stepping 9
Processor Count: 8
RAM: 12251 Mb
Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 650, 1024 Mb
Motherboard: Acer, Predator G3610
PSU: bequiet purepower 630 W

Last edited:

Triple6

Rob
So which system to you have now? The Acer with the Intel processor or the custom Asus system? Or do you have two? You've put your post together very oddly.

The AMD Athlon x4 880K would be a huge downgrade from an Intel i7-3770. Pretty much anything AMD will be a downgrade in performance or stability.

Have you updated to the latest version of the BIOS? Does the computer still boot properly with another video card?

A new motherboard would also require a new copy of Windows, you cannot re-use the ACER provided Windows license on a non-Acer motherboard.

Why does it need to have DDR4? The Intel i7-3770 does not support DDR4, the AMD lacks the performance to require DDR4.

ItsBryan123

Yes sorry the whole thing was a bit messy, i rewrote some bits and parts

Yes i have the latest bios and with my GTX 650 it works all fine, i also tried all the ports and using the builtin graphicscard (which i cannot access when a GPU is on the mainboard)

i also changed my mind about the whole amd thing, instead of going for budget im now going for quality and long livity ( if that even is a word)

sorry for the confusing way of posting it .

Triple6

Rob
That i7-6700 system would be a decent upgrade.

You may just want to complete the build and get a hard drive, CPU cooler, and new case and then keep your old system as a whole and sell it to offset the cost of the new system. The computer is an easier sell as a whole then those parts.

ItsBryan123

Oh yes, totally forgot to mention the case: Corsair 450 D midi Tower

about the hard drive i am not sure what to pick, any suggestions?
and the same goes with the CPU cooler

since that built i have in mind isnt exactly cheap(at least not for my wallet) i d be glad if i could save some money there (if that is the right place to save it)

Triple6

Rob
You only need a CPU Cooler if the one you are looking at doesn't come with one, the i7-6700 usually comes with one the i7-6700K doesn't. Stock is fone for the non-overclockable/non-K model. If it doesn't then take a look at the CoolerMaster 212 EVO: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103099&cm_re=evo_212-_-35-103-099-_-Product

For a drive, have you considered an SSD? 120GB or bigger is plenty for a boot drive for Windows, your programs, and a few bigger games. You can get a second mechanical hard drive for your data if you need lots of storage and can't afford a larger SSD. You can get a 120GB SSD for about $50 or a 480GB for $139: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226792

ItsBryan123

Thanks, I ll try it without a cooler but a 480gb ssd.

one last question (hopefully ;)

My current rig,
CPU i7 3770
Motherboard acer predator G3610
GPU GTX 650
PSU max 450W peak 500W 80+bronze noname brand
case original predator G3610 case

How much do you think i get out of it to finance my future rig?

Triple6

Rob
Depends on what similar PC's sell for in your area, Id try Craig' list. I got $500 for a similar i7-3770K just recently but it was a custom build with higher end parts and several SSD's. But check the local prices for similar systems and base it on that.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online